Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ineligible for Stimulus Check because of Social Security Number - erroneous data

Highlighted
Level 1

I am a green card holder and have had my green card and social security number for 30 years. When I first received my social security card (when we moved to the US with my father's job), I received a card that said "not valid for employment". However, within three years we all had green cards and I have been working in the United States since the age of 16 (I am now 40). I do not understand why I was denied the stimulus check on the grounds that my social security number is "not valid for employment" while I have been working for the past 24 years and paying taxes. Would anyone have any ideas of how to remedy this situation and get my stimulus check? I have recently lost my teaching job due to COVID circumstances and need this money more than ever. 

0 Cheers
6 Replies 6
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

"I do not understand why I was denied the stimulus check on the grounds that my social security number is "not valid for employment" while I have been working for the past 24 years and paying taxes. "

You got some kind of correspondence that said you were not eligible due to your SSN?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Yes, I finally go through to someone on the IRS stimulus check phone number and that is what they said. I also called the tax payer advocate line and they came up with the same information 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

A quick google search says that is correct...

So, who is eligible for the CARES Act payment?

The Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) states that qualified individuals must meet the following requirements:

1. Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;*
2. Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return;
3. Have a Social Security number (SSN) that is “valid for employment;” and
4. Have an adjusted gross income below a required amount based on your tax filing status and number of qualified children.

No idea why it was written that way, but it doesnt appear that you can do much about it. 

This stimulus payment is an advance on a 2020 credit, so people that dont get it now would still be able to get it on their 2020 tax return, but if theyve flagged your SSN as ineligible, that probably wont happen either

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Thanks so much for you help, that actually clarifies it. So is there absolutely now way of getting it now? I don't know why I have been eligible for employment all of these years because of my green card and yet because of this kink in the system do not qualify now. Do you reckon if I have that changed on my social security card now it will register this year? 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 11

@sashajh 

You are asking people on the internet that know nothing more than you can find out if you use the IRS resources. For Social Security Number issues, you would use the Social Security web resources.

The only thing we know, that you can also find out, is that this is an Advance on a 2020 income tax year event that would be filed when you work on your 2020 1040 form. If you don't qualify for the advance, I recommend you wait for the Tax Year and file the forms and that is when you will learn further as to how they put the legal code into regulations for the tax year.

No one here works for the IRS and no one here can tell you more than this. Sorry you find yourself in this situation, of course.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Highlighted
Level 10

What's missing from your story is how you went back to Social Security, after receiving your green card, to apply for a new Social Security card (same number) that showed you are eligible to work.  Social Security has a "Numident" system (sounds like toothpaste) that keeps track of such things. 

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211510

It's quite possible that you have been able to work in the U.S. for all these years without Social Security updating your employment eligibility because most employers didn't (and still don't) care about such niceties.  But thank the EIP program for bringing the problem to your attention.  As pointed out elsewhere, you're eligible for a credit on your 2020 income tax return, if you meet the other requirements.