Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form W-2

Cokes
Level 2

I received two form w-2's from the same employer. Both forms have different earnings and box-12 information. One form has state information at the bottom. Neither of the forms states W-2C. Which form should I use to I prepare my 2019 tax return?

Best Regards.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5

Is it possible to get a transcript so you can see what was filed with the IRS?

dkh
Level 15

Your employer or a clients employer?   If your employer, current or previous, call them. Ask which W2 is accurate for filing.   If a clients employer, have them call or authorize you to talk to HR to ask.

IRonMaN
Level 15

You or your client don’t have a rough idea what was earned last year to know if one W-2 or both W-2s in total approximate earnings for the year?

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"One form has state information at the bottom."

That would be why the amounts in Box 12 are different; there should also be codes that explain why Box(es) 12 has any value at all. Then, there is likely some State tax regulation that differs from Fed and is being reported for that clarity. Also, you would confirm the FEIN; a temp agency might have sent this to a worker who was placed in different localities with local tax regulations.

Are you a professional tax preparer or asking a personal tax issue, on this community of tax preparers on this forum meant for those using the specific program of Pro Series?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Cokes
Level 2

Spoke to client as suggested. 2019 earnings is the sum of all form W-2's. One W-2, reflected moving expenses from Europe, while the other reflected payroll earnings including state taxes withheld.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Best Regards