Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Student Received NonService Fellowship Letter instead of W2 form

ddh2020
Level 3

My client is an international student (J1 visa) performing services at his graduate school.  He received a W2 last year, however this year he received a letter for Nonservice Fellowship Letter instead of W2 form.  When I entered this amount in "Other Income" line 8r of 1040NR, his federal balance is around $4k.  However, the letter he received states that this income is exempt since it's for services performed at school. Does anyone have any suggestion on how this situation should be handled?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
qbteachmt
Level 15

Would he have received a 1042-S instead of a W2?

Did you try the IRS tax wizard for this:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-include-my-scholarship-fellowship-or-education-grant-as-income-on-...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
sjrcpa
Level 15

A NonService fellowship is for Services? I'm confused.

"the letter he received states that this income is exempt" - exempt from what?

Not that it helps, but I have seen Universities (big ones) give letters and not 1099s or W-2s for Graduate stipends/awards/fellowships. They were to US citizens.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
ddh2020
Level 3

thank you! he did receive a 1042-S last year, but not this year.

0 Cheers
ddh2020
Level 3

I meant tax exempt. So the income works as any other income and the difference with a regular W2 is that there are no withholdings and he will need to pay taxes on his income as he would do with a 1099 form, correct?

0 Cheers