Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1120S: can additional paid in capital be returned?

Golfer2016
Level 2

I want to reclassify a distribution as a return of Additional paid in capital.  Is this allowed?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
qbteachmt
Level 15

Did you read the follow up in your original topic, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/balance-sheet-problem-when-...

Because there, it seems your use of the phrase Additional "Paid In Capital" on that topic seems to be Debt. Distributions are Equity. There would be repayment of debt if that is owed to someone also able to take distributions, but debt payments are made per the debt or loan instrument or Note Payable including interest if not stated, then imputed.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Golfer2016
Level 2

Thank you.  No, it is an equity.  Line 23 of Schedule L.

If I can just return the capital (which is now in additional paid in capital), as opposed to making a distribution, Retained earnings don't go negative.  There is just one shareholder so it may not matter as you point out "equity account" is an "equity account"

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Do you know how APIC was created in this company? Maybe it was misclassified when the company was created.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"as opposed to making a distribution, Retained earnings don't go negative."

There are "ordering rules" and my understanding is that distributions are first considered to be from Current Earnings, then Retained Earnings, and so on down to paid in capital; then as that goes negative, it becomes taxable income.

As I stated, I'm not a CPA. I recommend you keep up this conversation so that others can chime in.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers