Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOTAL STATE Reference on W2 Form

catherine3
Level 3

My client lived in NC and moved to OH in Sep 2023. They still work for the same employer, who is located in NC. Their W2 has TOTAL STATE under the state ID no portion of box 15, Box 16, is blank and box 17, state income tax, has an amount in the box. This W2 is 99% of their income. Do I need file a return in both states? 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youre missing the copy of the W2 that breaks down the individual states. 

If they moved from one state to another mid year, you'll have 2 part year state tax returns to prepare.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youre missing the copy of the W2 that breaks down the individual states. 

If they moved from one state to another mid year, you'll have 2 part year state tax returns to prepare.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
catherine3
Level 3

I thought that might be the case. They photographed the W2 and did not quite capture everything. Thank you. 

xavierx
Level 1

I am facing a case where on Copy C, it indicates TOTALSTATE. However, there are 3 other Copy 2s for 3 different states. Most tax forms asks me to follow Copy C, but this seems like an aggregated value of all my 3 other W2s.

A little more about me : I lived in New York City, interned at NJ over summer and is staying in PA rest of the year. So i have 3 W2s.

0 Cheers