Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After I did a 2019 Lacerte Tax Update at around 8 PM on 5-24-2019, Printing is NOT working

I knew I was going to try to efile a client tonight that I just finished so I was ready to reprint to DMS since there was a lot of changes.  I thought I would check Lacerte for tax updates and there was a tax update putting me on federal version 40.0514 (unless this was the version previously and the update updated something else?) . I then reprinted the tax return to payer and to DMS and noticed there was only 33 pages instead of about 100 pages.  The tax returns are missing!  I tried to print the client copy, preparer copy, file copy and I get the same problem that only workpapers and statements and the letter and Form 8879 and 114a is printing.  The government copy only prints to paper and DMS three pages which are the Government Copy Slip Sheet, Form 114a and only 1 of the 2 pages of Form 114.  Form 1040 & the Arizona State form is not printing.  I checked my settings and everything is checked property.

I rebooted the computer and Lacerte is still doing this.  I then forced a reinstall and it did not help. I then did a pdf repair and it did not fix the problem which was suggested by a reply in my post to  Lacerte Rescuers on Facebook. 

Is Lacerte not in until Tuesday due to the Memorial Day holiday?  Anyone else have this problem? Any advice as my clients want to review another client copy and she and her husband feel they are ready to sign and want to efile ASAP.

Before the 2019 Lacerte Tax update tonight, I was printing on paper and to DMS with no problems.  My last change for this client was about 1 hour ago since while I was trying to fix the problem one of the taxpayers emailed me donations that were withheld from his payroll check. 

I wish I did not do the update until after printing to DMS after their final donations were given to me tonight.  Then once they signed the papers and before efiling, I would have checked for Lacerte updates so there would not be an efile reject from not efiling with the most recent program but at least the copy would be in DMS and clients would have it.

Thank you.

Susan

P.S. I just got another reply in Lacerte Rescuers and it seems if I uncheck the efile box next to Federal, Arizona and Form 114 (Spouse) I can print to paper and DMS again but I need to be able to efile and need the letter and efile instructions to print also. This appears to be a bug in Lacerte with this last tax update.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would try the FORCE install https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/how-to-perform-a-force-install-of-lacerte... 

I assume that if you went to the Forms view, you also did not see the 100 pages? 

Possibly a print issue, in which case you could try this new Tools Hub https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/fix-common-problems-and-errors-with-the-l... of which I have no experience. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

Thank you George4Tacks for trying to help but this is a Lacerte Bug that needs an update again. I just went to my other PC that shares only the database that I had not yet applied this update to and have not yet forced a new install of the 2019 Lacerte Program.
It took a while to log into the program without it freezing on my employee's PC (her husband will not let her come into my home office due to the NJ Lock down from Covid-19.... she told me maybe in June he will let her come back to work). I get an Error message now that says "An error occurred due to a ProTaxDatabase version mismatch. Please install the latest version of Lacerte." I snipped it and printed out the Error message. When I closed the error message, I was able to get into the client's file and change everything to efile again and print to DMS with all pages. The problem now is that the pages are all out of order since I never print from that PC. Each install is a stand alone install but they share a database on a network. All pages are highlighted on both machines which pages is filled out but unless I remove the efile checkmarks, the tax return will not print to DMS only workpapers and the one federal signature page and the Form 114a.
Lacerte needs to fix this bug in the latest update as I lost hours of my time right now and losing hours today again as I was trying to do a work around.
For now to make the clients happy, I will print one page at a time that relate to the efile page for the letter and the bank account information for direct payments and direct deposits. Then I will uncheck the boxes and send them the return in order that has that it is being paper filed.
I will print the settings in my PC when this is fixed so my employee can invest the time in moving forms around to make her return equal to mine as she usually only inputs and does not print to DMS the tax return, only Excel workpapers and scanned document go to DMS that she will do for me.
Thank you George4Tacks for trying to help. Do you work for Lacerte?
Susan

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Sorry it didn't work. They often make "fix it" releases on Tuesday. If not I would fully expect a known issue to be fixed by Thursday's update.

0 Cheers

Thank you George4Tacks for letting me know.

Susan

0 Cheers

Now I am very unhappy as I can no longer scan anything to DMS after the PDF repair that was not the problem someone had suggested in Lacerte Rescuers. I know I have to go into Config.sys and rename things but I am not touching it without someone on the phone with me! I had planned to catch up today and make this client happy before they fly to go back overseas to their other home. Lacerte should make sure they can print if efile is checked before sending any updates to us. How sloppy when we pay so much. I lost so much money over this and this client is not happy as I promised her I would have everything efiled by yesterday.

0 Cheers

Audrey in technical support was able to fix my DMS again and fix the print to DMS and paper problem.  I will from now on print first when I am finished before doing a Lacerte Update and only update if on the weekend if I have no choice as I need to efile but not until the client reviewed their tax return send me the signature pages back.  But I think Audrey for solving my problems.  

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@SusanLDiscountCPA here is a tip. NEVER use the update from the program. It is often wonky.

From All Programs, scroll down to Lacerte > 2019 Lacerte Web Setup, then right click and select "Pin to Taskbar". When you see it is ready to do an update, exit the program and run Web Setup from the shortcut on the taskbar. That does a much more thorough update. That is also how you add a new module or state.

Sorry for the grief that last update gave you. Hopefully using this tip will avoid it happening again.

0 Cheers

Thank you George4Tacks for this advice. I will try it for the next update.

Susan

0 Cheers