Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did we receive an efile rejection for parents with son filing his efile return with no issues?

dsappenfield12
Level 2

We efiled the 17 year old son's return to get his refund on his taxes paid in and he is a dependent on his parent's return.  When filing the parent's it was rejected due to multiple social security numbers?  Will we have to file by paper the parent's.  

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

it said Multiple SSNs?   I've never seen that rejection. 

Did you forget to mark that the son could be claimed as a dependent of someone else on his return? 

And the rejection was actually that the SSN had already been used on another return?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dsappenfield12
Level 2

After looking at the return yes forgot to select he can be claimed as a dependent.  

So how would we be able to correct his return and then be able to file the parents by efile?

Can we amend electronically?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can amend the son's electronically.

It may or may not get updated in the IRS database in time to efile the parents' return. If I was a betting woman, I'd bet it won't.

Ex-AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

If you are correcting the return before 4/15, you don't amend, you make the correction and write "use as Original filing"  at the top of the return.  Print, have signed, send Certified through USPS. I also reccommend that you don't file the parents return until the IRS acknowledges they have made the correction.

Client should create an account on IRS site for son so this return can be tracked.

ljr
Level 8

I have learned to make sure the parents return gets efiled first - and if they say they are filing the kids return themselves I tell them to wait until they file their return. This way it will be the kid's return that is rejected and you can then just check off the dependent box and resubmit. Once the parents find out that their refund may be held up for months just so their kid gets his $100 is enough to make them do what you say. 

clr600
Level 8

Or you can file a superseded return for the child for 2022 electronically.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im very curious to see if this superseded option speeds up changes in situations like this, so the parents dont get stuck waiting forever and a day for the amendment to process and be able to Efile!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dsappenfield12
Level 2

The plan is to file the superseded return after February 23rd, the date we are told that it will be allowed.

Thank you for all the insight and we will forward what we learn.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

A possible option to to file the parents' return without the son, then e-file an amended/superseded return with the son.

The new release from last summer seems to indicate that is possible now.

Taxpayers can also amend their return electronically if there is change to their filing status or to add a dependent who was previously claimed on another return.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-taxpayers-now-have-more-options-to-correct-amend-returns-electronic...