Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I explain the1095A missing is being claimed on the parents return.

shf1957
Level 7

Have a Grad Student that is working and is claiming her self (24 yrs old). The program refused the efiling looking for a 1095A.   She was covered under her parents 1095A that they are accounting for and  claiming on their return.   

Please let me know what to do since she is gainfully working and was finishing her grad school last year. ( Turned 24 in July of 2022)  

Thank you for all and any help you can give me.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Just make a dummy 1095A with zero in market place ID, and policy #. then put $1 in the three columns for January only, then scroll down to shared policy allocation worksheet, and fill out. probably zero % in the three columns for your client, but it can be anything the clients want. 

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You still need to enter it on her return.  If parents claimed 100% on their return, you'll allocate 0% to the kids return, but you still need to include it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Just make a dummy 1095A with zero in market place ID, and policy #. then put $1 in the three columns for January only, then scroll down to shared policy allocation worksheet, and fill out. probably zero % in the three columns for your client, but it can be anything the clients want. 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As was noted above, you need a copy of the 1095-A, and you need to fill out the allocation section.

How it is allocated may depend on (1) if Advance credit was given (column C of the 1095-A) and (2) if the parents and 'child' agree how to divide things.