Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This tax season

rcooley25
Level 11

I am so sad.

In about 14 more days all of this great fund we have been having with forms not being available and system breakdowns will be over for another year. 

What am I going to do?

0 Cheers
42 Comments 42
dkh
Level 15

Well, I am jealous if you are done on April 18th.  You have no clients on extension?  

geezer
Level 3

not to worry. the program nerds are working hard at finding new curve balls, errors, dead ends and other annual malarkey that will keep you in suspenders until then. plus, the price will go up to reward those imbeciles with bonuses and perks.

in 1984 the program cost about $50 and imho it was less fubar.

geezer
Level 3

awww, you shouldn't have said that. now he will have extension envy to boot! then it will be therapy. then it will be a medical ganja card. then he'll forget. it will be a vicious circle. and in michigan therapy could even be micro dosing.

stand with ukraine indeed! I'd be willing to take full responsibility for entering the doomsday code to vaporize Pukin. now we know what WWII was like for our parents and grandparents. I'm moving to michigan.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: in 1984 the program cost about $50 and imho it was less fubar.

Name the code section for the following in 1984:

Child tax credit

MACRS

Advance child tax credit

Qualified business income deduction

EIP 1, EIP2 and EIP3 linked to Recovery Rebate Credit computation

Covid Qualified Distribution, with election to pay in one year and election to pay back

Optional Pass thru entity income tax

Just a few on top of my head.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Also Passive activity rules.

By the way, how did you e-file in 1984?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Do we get to use Google to research that question?  Or are saying things were a little less complicated in 1984?  I get confused easily late at night, especially Sunday nights since my brain shuts down temporarily to retool for the start of the new week.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

We had the Telephone Tax issue that funded the Spanish American War over a hundred years ago.  We had one year where the 1040 was a one page line # and amount with supporting info.  We also only had passbook savings and regular dividends.  No crypto and clients having 5-10-20 1099's with every broker because stock trades cost money to do (I remember $39.95 do do one stock trade - EF Hutton - when money talks, we listen).  Now it's like sports betting.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Bob should be joining in anytime to reminisce about his days dealing with the first telephone tax. 😉

Slava Ukraini!
geezer
Level 3

ferrous dude! thanks for the laugh. also funny how defensive some can be about this software as if it were their puppy. 😄

yeah, in 1978 I could rebuild a porsche engine. now I can't find the dipstick. and you didn't need an advanced degree in electrical engineering to operate the first microwave. 

looking back gives perspective and lots of laughs. I remember in the early 80s when the client arrived with his secretary later than expected for the tax appointment. I sat there plugging away with the calculator and without turbotax, I noted an error. I advised the secretary that she had her dress on inside out. those were the days my friend.

Death to Pukin

sjrcpa
Level 15

PAL rules, Section 469, did not exist until the The Tax Reform Act of 1986. They, and many other things, were phased in over 4 years. Fun times.

This I remembered with no help from Google.

Ex-AllStar
rcherenson
Level 4

I guess you don't have foreign clients to not have to file until June 15 and a pile of others on extension. For some of us, the fun won't end for another 6 months! Woo hoo!

sjrcpa
Level 15

It's been tax season for the last 2+ years for us.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

We are in the same boat.  I’m just glad we haven’t run into any icebergs yet🛳

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

Don't know what y'all are **bleep**in about.  I've been done for weeks.  Just sipping a margarita sitting here overlooking the Caribbean ocean.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I’m guessing more like you are sipping that margarita while up on the roof debating whether you should jump or start throwing clients off.  

Slava Ukraini!
rcherenson
Level 4

I resemble that remark! 😂🤣

geezer
Level 3

Wait! is that YOU over there on the other roof?

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

@IRonMaN  This is gonna exceed 5 lines.  So exit now.

This is NOT really to address @geezer 's comment: "also funny how defensive some can be about this software as if it were their puppy." 

I declared "NOT" because his comment isn't worth even a few seconds of my time, during or after the tax season.  ESPECIALLY AFTER the tax season, when I read the comment about the guy by one of my respected contributors here, @abctax55 :

Humor is a great stress reliever (ask Jeff), but trying to jolly your way through not doing any research on your own, then picking on folks that bother to attempt to point you in the right direction ain't gonna fly here.

Neither is this post for reporting my Post-4/18 accomplishments, which included... 

*  Dog-and-pony dances with a few clients (some of whom, some of you might call "troublemakers" but like one of my other respected contributors, @PATAX  once said, don't bite the hand that feeds you, so I never use that term...)

*  Some deferred dental work...

*  3 days in Vegas without (but then, perhaps with - without knowing it - ) running into @BobKamman...,

*  The second booster shot which, unlike the prior ones, knocked me out for two days...

I think this is a right place to bring up a point I wanted to make during the tax season, because it has the right materials for my intro.

I originally made the comment, which led @geezer  to believe Lacerte was "my puppy", only because of a word he used: 

FUBAR.

I think most of you would agree with me that this was a difficult tax season.  Late issuance of 1099's by many, and late approval of forms by the IRS and state agencies didn't help.  Here in California, the late passing of the "PTE Tax", which affected many entities, and the VERY LATE changes (mid Feb!!!) of some key issues thereon, and the associated form changes and approval, could only be classified as IN****INGSANE.  My (insincere) apology to Lacerte users in other states, as I imagine, due to the sheer number of CA Lacerte users, many needed software enhancements were likely delayed to cater just to the Golden State's PTE Tax related forms and changes.

But, FUBAR???

I came out to diffuse @geezer 's "JOLLY comment" because, to me, the term is demoralizing to the Lacerte community and particularly to Lacerte employees.  They work very hard and I have no doubt most of them were (and are) making an honest living and doing their best. 

This tax season, I called Lacerte support almost twenty times.  Only once was I disappointed.  My officemate (who uses another top brand software) told me that in one of the calls he made to his software support, during some idle time, he chatted with the rep, who told him she was new at XXY, and had been a nurse who decided to leave the hostile environment due to Covid.  Believe me, it is hard to find good help across the board these days.  Yes, most of the "support experts" follow certain scripts.  Good ones would know how to side step or bypass, newbies may have to "start with the formation of the universe" and follow the scripts to the Tee, but that is pretty much the nature of "technical support" for end users these days.

Here, I've heard a variety of complaints.  Some boiled down to crashes specific for certain computer platforms.  I use a local IT guy for a cloud server, which has it fair share of Lacerte conflicts.  In three or four of the calls, my IT guy had to be on a conference call with Lacerte.  I figured that was just the nature of the info superhighway these days,

Some complaints are along the line of what's in a rather recent post:  Even though @George4Tacks  already explained that the state interest rates were NOT provided by Intuit, but by a third party site that ceased to operate, a complaint was still lodged: For what we pay for Lacerte, this is absolutely shameful. I have been with Lacerte since 1989 and the program has always had state interest rates...   These types of complaints actually don't bother me.  I dismissed them the same way I read the subject of, and just skipped, the 4/14 post asking for help on how to do a 1031 exchange on Intuit.  This is an open forum.  Free to post.  Free to ignore.

But then, there were moments when I was almost convinced bots were engaged by Intuit competitors to write the complaints.

NO, Lacerte is NOT my puppy.  It's a tool for my trade, and like any computer software, I expect it to serve X% of my business needs. X used to be higher.  X is lower in the past two years, but I also comprehend (1) the programming challenges - name all the forms and changes specifically due to Covid; (2) the operational challenges - as faced by many other businesses, including my clients'; and (3) for the most part, the Intuit problems are industry-wide. 

Now, I DO feel the pain for the firm that has lost work for X days, with N employees doing nothing.  I hope the firm can get to the bottom of the problem.  Paraphrasing my Intuit Hero, The Bob, if 12 users reported the same issue, it's an Intuit problem.  If less...(too much Bourbon to remember further.)  I have yet to ask him how he came up with the number 12.  

Some concluded it was corporate greed.  Some believed all the issues should have been ironed out by Mid-February.  Some reminisced the Lacerte program of 1984.  Some used this forum to vent the injustice did to him or her in the last divorce.  I just wanted to say this:

Calm down, get to the bottom of the problem and make do, and if you vow to change to another software, do your homework and best wishes from me.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I’m going to go read the short story “War and Peace” to get myself ready to read your post. I believe you have a record setter there.  I’m sure Intuit will reward you with some type of badge for that post.

Slava Ukraini!
geezer
Level 3

josh,

me heart goes out to you! and I'll give ya more than a few seconds. your "respected contributor" didn't, or, doesn't know how to, read. I invested an hour plus trying to find an answer on my own and hit dead ends. try fact checking?

imho, you love drama! have you considered community theater as an outlet?

and please don't get hurt when you fall off that horse.

and seriously now, consider tongue in cheek rather than serious.

or maybe valium will untwist those briefs?

woof!

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

When I was with Parsons Personal Tax Preparer's Edition to efile we would have to back up a return to a 3.5" disk and mail that disk to Parsons and they would efile the return.  The Parsons program was a very good program. 

dkh
Level 15

3.5" disk........oh how technology has changed.   

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Dang. "War and Peace" is a story?  I quoted it in my World History AP class.  No wonder I flunked it.  

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Lacerte just awarded me the 

Don't Drink and Post Badge.

beyette10
Level 2

Buy a new income tax software next year??

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

How did you "sell" efiling to clients then? Was there a ;perceived advantage?

Ex-AllStar
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

efiling was brand new and it was a big thing back then to be able to efile., promoted as being faster, which it was but thinking back mailing a disk so someone else could efile makes it seem like another world. 

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

before going out on my own I worked for a big CPA firm and in the early days of computers we would have these huge input sheets and feed them into the computer and some company would then turn the input into a tax return.. that is about wild as mailing a disk in

rcooley25
Level 11

I also started with a cpa firm before striking out on my own and this was long before the computers. In fact the state of Illinois did not have an income tax untill 8 months later.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

When I first started doing income tax returns on computer the only tax softeware I could find waS Turbo Tax. Can you believe that?

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

They would get their refunds sooner and they liked that.

rcooley25
Level 11

Thinking about it

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Re: When I first started doing income tax returns on computer the only tax softeware I could find waS Turbo Tax. Can you believe that?

I actually CAN believe that, though there were quite a few others.

Per Google: 

When was Lacerte created?

Business background: Started Lacerte Software Corp. in his home in 1978; developed Lacerte Tax Software, the first desktop application for general ledger and tax preparation.

When did Intuit acquire Lacerte?

In the same year, Intuit acquired Parsons Technology from Bob Parsons for $64 million. In 1996, it acquired GALT Technologies, Inc of Pittsburgh, PA. In 1998, it acquired Lacerte Software Corp., which now operates as an Intuit subsidiary.  
(for $400 million, if I remember correctly.)

How about TurboTax?

Per Wikipedia:  TurboTax is a software package for preparation of American income tax returns, produced by Intuit. TurboTax is a market leader in its product segment, competing with H&R Block Tax Software and TaxAct. TurboTax was developed by Michael A. Chipman of Chipsoft in 1984 and was sold to Intuit in 1993.

What about the tax service with WIDE pages of input sheet and delivered either by the moonlighting storks or courier services? 

It was Computax - developed in 1963, acquired by CCH in 1965 and became CCH Computax,  I was still with a firm in the early 1980's.  The firm had used Computax but was switching to CIS, Computax Interactive System and some other CCH remote entry system.  I still remember CIS because the CPA firm also had a branch called CSG Computer Software Group, which installed Solomon and CYMA on client computers, then customized applications, consulted and trained clients' employees.  Before long, CSG was basically destroyed by Peachtree.

When I started my practice, CCH was still the industry leader.  Over lunch, my mentor (partner of a local firm) told me just one word: Lacerte.  That was all I needed for my decision. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Over lunch, my mentor (partner of a local firm) told me just one word: Lacerte"

I hate it whenever I am stuck with someone who isn't much of a talker.  That must have been a long, uncomfortable lunch if that is all he had to say the whole time you were with him.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE:

1.  I hate it whenever I am stuck with someone who isn't much of a talker. 

2.  That must have been a long, uncomfortable lunch if that is all he had to say the whole time you were with him.

1.  Don't say that.  Otherwise, when you happen to be in town, @sjrcpa will NOT invite you to lunch. 

2.  Well, you know me.  By the time I finished talking about my ideas about a decent tax software, dessert was being served and it was time for my mentor to go back to his office.  I didn't give all the details, but he took the last bite of his crème brûlée, paid the bill, stood up, said "Lacerte" and left.

Perhaps you're interested in know why I still remember it was crème Brûlée.  I don't.  Statistics showed 78.6548% of the time, when men ordered dessert as a matter of social gesture, the choice is crème brûlée.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

It was a typo.  I meant to say "interested in knowing why..."  

dkh
Level 15

I worked at an accounting firm that used CYMA.  Program was on 5-1/4" floppies.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I still ran CYMA Shoebox on my computer until I switched to peer-to-peer.  It was s spiffy little thing.  Much better than Quicken.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Don't say that.  Otherwise, when you happen to be in town, @sjrcpa will NOT invite you to lunch"

She will invite me.  We have more to talk about than just tax software.  We have more important things to discuss, like dogs, mad bomber hats, and people that are long winded.  😉

Slava Ukraini!
beyette10
Level 2

how stupid = I've been with Intuit for over 20 years!!  EXPERINCE!  PROSERIES IT SELF IS THE BEST!

0 Cheers
beyette10
Level 2

THANK yOU

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You betcha.

Ex-AllStar