Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple state returns. Which one do I process first in proseries? Resident state or non resident state?

tctxldy
Level 3

Client lives and works in CA.  He sold rental property in VA.  If I process CA first all the income is taxed and VA non resident shows a credit for the tax paid in CA.  Is this correct?  If so VA does not receive any tax on the sale?  If I process VA first CA taxes the sale and does not process a credit for the double taxed income.

It's been years since I have had one of these and I am a bit rusty on what is processed first

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

VA gets all the taxes from the nonresident Californians.  Probably comes out to be more than they give up.  

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I do the nonresident one first, that way taxes will carry to the resident return for taxes paid to another state, but I think if you jump back and forth between the 2 a few times, it should eventually pull it over. 

Oh if theyre a reverse credit state, then doing the resident return first, might make more sense.

I know CA/OR and CA/AZ are reverse credit states, maybe they are with VA too.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

CA and VA are bassackward, too.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

" If I process CA first all the income is taxed and VA non resident shows a credit for the tax paid in CA.  Is this correct? "

The tax result sounds correct. 

I don't use ProSeries so listen to Lisa about the processing order.

Ex-AllStar
tctxldy
Level 3

Thanks for the responses.  It just seems VA should receive the tax from the sale not CA but it shows a credit for tax paid to CA on the VA.  So VA gets nothing.  🙄

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

VA gets all the taxes from the nonresident Californians.  Probably comes out to be more than they give up.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They live and work in CA.   VA is the nonresident state, since theyre a reverse credit state with CA, VA gives the credit for taxes paid to CA.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
tctxldy
Level 3

Thank you do much for the help.  Of course I tried to apply logic into the equation 🤣

matte
Level 1

Client sold property in CO but lives in AZ. 1. Which form? 2. Is there reciprocity so that client is not double taxed? 

0 Cheers