Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Estimated Tax Payments

burchfieldcpas
Level 2

Can you e-file an Amended 2021 tax return to set up automatic estimated tax payment withdrawals for 2022?

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I would uncheck the ES payment schedule....I dont think it sends again, but I wouldnt take any chances.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I think the OP is asking if the estimates weren't setup with the orginal efiling can automatic electronic estimates be set up with an amended return .

My question @burchfieldcpas .... is there actually a need to amend the return or is it only to activate the auto estimates function?      

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Oh, maybe so. Ive seen people ask about the ES payments getting sent again if they amend a return where they had them scheduled...I dont think they send them with a amended, too much of a chance for them to get scheduled twice.

burchfieldcpas
Level 2

The reason for the amended return would be to establish automatic estimated tax payments.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Just use IRS Direct Pay and schedule them.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Oh IRS DP will only allow you to schedule 2 payments each day, so you need to do 2 of them one day, then go back again the next day for the final one...no clue why they have this limit.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I used IRS Direct pay last year when PS was having issues with auto estimates.  It made me nervous, so I went with direct pay - liked having the receipt in hand.

And yes, can't schedule all the same day.  

HS45
Level 1

The reason for the amended return would be to establish automatic estimated tax payments.

This is exactly what I would like to do. 

Is this acceptable? Would the bank information from the 1040 be transferred to the IRS with the 1040X? 

Thank you

Harry

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I not sure auto ES payments will go with an EF amended return, I personally wouldn't trust it to happen.  

Id set them up at IRS DirectPay to be sure they actually get scheduled.   I think IRS still limits how many payments you can set up on a  daily basis, to 2.  Youd have to schedule the first 2, then log back in the next day to schedule the last 2.  DirectPay gives you a printed confirmation, much more reliable than the software.