Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illinois EIC not calculating correctly when its more than 3 children and parent has an ITIN. It completely eliminates the credit and it shouldn't. Will it be fixed?

maricelad
Level 2

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8

I suggest you call customer service to get an answer.

maricelad
Level 2

I called last week Thursday and was on the phone for 3 hours trying to explain. They called me back on Friday, on the phone for 4 hours and still has not been resolved

0 Cheers

Well, your experience with customer service is unfortunately a too often occurence.  But at least you brought it to them and hopefully someone will fix it prior to April 15th.  Which, of course, doesn't help you finish the return now.

So my advice is, to paraphrase the very wise and knowledgeable Skylane, to try and find a workaround.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Illinois goes off of federal amount. How are you expecting EIC based off of more than 3 children? 

I understood the facts to be the new, Illinois Expanded EITC is not calculating properly under the fact set given with an ITIN.  Which wouldn't surprise me since it is new and like a lot of things around here, initially programmed incorrectly.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But if I follow the question correctly, more than three equals zero for the credit.  Sounds like Intuit's math kinda sucks for that calculation.

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

So the most they will get is with 3 kids. The 4th or beyond doesnt do them any good from EITC standpoint. That amount should transfer from the fed's and we get 20%. BUT....................ITINS are not carrying. This is our wonderful software programmers. They cant get it correctly. 

I overrode and put my own amount. I THINK I disabled error checking but I cannot remember. 

maricelad
Level 2

ITIN users do not qualify for the EIC on the federal so there is no amount on the federal. Illinois however has expanded the IL EIC to ITIN users. This is new this year.