Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QUALIFYING RELATIVE

BuchTaxes
Level 2

Per Publication 4012, I determined that my clients girlfriends' children are classified as a Qualified Relative and he is entitled to the CTC.  How do you enter this status into ProSeries for these dependents?  If I mark "L" for dependent living with him, it forces me to pick a "relationship" but Other disqualifies the child from the CTC.  I need to pick either daughter, son, or stepchild for it to work.  Is this correct?  Or is there another way to mark the dependent for the taxpayer to receive the CTC.  

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@BuchTaxes wrote:

classified as a Qualified Relative and he is entitled to the CTC. 

but Other disqualifies the child from the CTC. 

mark the dependent for the taxpayer to receive the CTC.  

Are you referring to the $2000 credit?  If so, a Qualifying Relative does not qualify for that.

If you are referring to the $500 credit (commonly called the "Other Dependent Credit"), what you are doing should work.  Is it allowing the $500 credit per child?

qbteachmt
Level 15

"my clients girlfriends' children"

How is it that someone else's kids might be your kids? Either they are or are not Related.

Are you using the IRS resources?

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita

Relative and Dependent are covered by the wizards.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BuchTaxes
Level 2

I agree they are not a Qualifying Child but they are a Qualifying Relative Per Publication 4012, Table 2 (page C-6/68). The taxpayer is claiming girlfriend as Other dependent and her biological children which she is signing form 8332 to Release of Claim by Custodial Parent.  

0 Cheers
BuchTaxes
Level 2

Thanks for the clarification!

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@BuchTaxes wrote:

which she is signing form 8332 to Release of Claim by Custodial Parent.  

That can only be used to give the children to the other parent.  It can't be used to give the children to a non-parent.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Isn't this why the ITA exists? We've run into issues of eligibility and qualification for purposes of custody by a nonparent, for example, and dependency and various credits all rely on details that the IRS will walk you through.

Look here, starting on page 17:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.