Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended return

Summer2021
Level 4

I have an issue and not sure how to proceed.

A wrong file was sent by Proseries to the IRS and was accepted.  I know for a fact that I e-filed through the client file but Proseries picked up a file from a different directory with a same SSN.  The wrong file was accepted by the IRS but the right file is still saying transmitted for federal and received by Intuit for CA for three days.

Since the file with the same SSN was accepted by the IRS, I was thinking of doing an amended return through the right file but not sure how to proceed.  I have not received a rejection from federal or the state for the right file.  No sure how can you file an amended return is the file has not been rejected. 

Does anyone has any experience on this?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
dkh
Level 15

I do not believe it is possible for ProSeries to "pick up a file from a different directory" for e-filing.   Whatever file has been selected by you is what is transmitted.

A return does not need to be rejected to be amended.  In fact, if it was rejected then you would have the ability to correct the information before resubmitting.   

It is NOT possible to submit two returns for the same SSN (taxpayer) without one of the returns being rejected. 

Summer2021
Level 4

That's not my experience.  These two files saved in different folders for a purposes.  One with attachment and one without.  When I checked efile and submit, it said these files with attachments.  As such, I know I was working and efiling the right file.

0 Cheers
Summer2021
Level 4

Any advise on how to file amended return in my situation? I have two files in two different folders.  Two files with different information, one for actual return and one for analysis purposes.  The actual return has attachment on it.    

When preparing amended return, I am planning on using the actual return file with attachment.  Does amended return attached originally federal return?  Does attachments go with the return when amended return is filed? 

Thank you so much for any suggestion.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I agree with above, ProSeries doesnt have the ability to Efile a return from some other folder....if the wrong file got sent, and you Efiled from the client file, you had it the wrong file open on the screen, sorry.

I know when I have multiple versions of a client return in motion, Im sure to uncheck the EF boxes on the return that I have no plan to Efile, so it can never be transmitted by accident.    

Highlight the second file you transmitted (thats sitting in limbo) and choose "UPDATE ACKS for Selected Returns" (instead of the regular Receive Acknowledgments), than should get you the rejected message if in fact a return with that SSN was already filed and accepted.  Now go in and uncheck the EFboxes on it, save and exit the file,  to get it out of the EFCenter.

Open the return that was accepted, activate the 1040X and any state amended form (if applicable), then make changes to that return to make it correct, then Efile the amended return, its possible the state amended may have to be paper filed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Summer2021
Level 4

Thank you Lisa.  You are a real lifesaver!

After I selected update ACKS, the return in the right folder now said return was accepted by both federal and state tax agencies.  

However on acknowledgement status log, the wrong return file also said accepted, but only by federal. I am not sure what this mean.  Do I need to worry about it?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im not sure what's really happened, but at least your correct file has been accepted.....Id try and dig up that other file in that other folder and be sure there's no Form 9325 included in it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
EdK1979
Level 1

We just had the same experience. We definitely selected the file we wanted to e-file and the transmission sheet has the file name of the file we selected.

ProSeries however sent a different file (the taxpayer's ex-spouse) to the IRS even though that return had 11 errors. I called tech support and they had never seen this incident reported and blamed our antivirus.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@EdK1979   sounds similar to some posts reporting problems with MFS returns efiling both taxpayer and spouse returns when only one was selected.   

Don't think ProSeries can say they haven't had this incident reported before. 

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

read this thread all the way thru.

Cliff's note version.  First problem---delete the spouse you HAVEN'T filed...and then update the EF status on the one you did file.

then when you get around to filing the second spouse..follow the steps in my post at the bottom of the thread below.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/return-accepted-that-wa...

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.