Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the corona virus distributions 2020 when spread over 3 years not carryover to the 2021 program?

Nannette
Level 1

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
sariscpa
Level 4

Mine did not carry over.  I have to check every person's 2020 tax return manually.  I was hoping there was a query in 2020 to identify those clients affected but I did not find one.  The IRS is not using form 8915-E for 2021.  They will start using a new form 8915-F which is not available in Proseries...yet.

Nannette
Level 1

Ok that's going to make things more difficult. thanks for your help!

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

They do not carryover...so far. I was hoping the ProSeries would include those carryovers on the 8915.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Intuit has said that once 8915F has arrived, it will not carryover prior year info.  I am guessing they are doing that since a good portion of folks have already transferred over clients, and without a 8915F to catch the info, it would have fallen into a black hole.

Slava Ukraini!
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Right I had every expectation that this carryover LIKE ALL OTHER CARRYOVERS THE SOFTWARE TRACKS would be brought over. Isn't that the purpose of paying $10,000 for the software each year??

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Does the carryover get reported on the 8915 or can you just pop it into a 1099-R worksheet?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You need to set your expectations a lot lower if you are going to be using Intuit products.  Set them so low that a snail can jump over them and that way you won't be disappointed.

Slava Ukraini!
sariscpa
Level 4

I believe reporting it without the 8915 would trigger a CP-2000

0 Cheers
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Well even if that's the case, the good news is there would be no change because it was reported on the return. Just geography. 🙂

lori3
Level 3

UGH! I got this far into the season before realizing the information didn't carryover. I'm VERY lucky I didn't have as many clients to opt for the 3-year spread on the option. However, I did have to create a handful of amendments and now explain to the clients why they owe taxes back. This made NO sense to me as to why returns created in ProSeries in one year doesn't carryover information to the subsequent years. I've learned a valuable lesson (the hard way) about not relying on the software.  Even when I ran the query that now exists in the 2020 version to find the returns with the 3-year spread, it didn't find them all.