Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return "accepted" that was never transmitted?

IRonMaN
Level 15

My standard procedure is to transmit returns in the evening and check for acknowledgements in the morning.  So I am doing my normal procedure this morning.  I have a couple that the husband doesn't like the way his wife pushes off tax filing so last year he got tired of waiting for her and asked to file separately.  Ok, no problem if that is what you want.  This year he comes in same story.  So I get his return done, he picked it up, signed the 8879, and I transmitted the return last night.  Since I had the returns split last year, no reason to even touch her return this year.  Check for acknowledgements this morning and her federal return has been accepted.  His is sitting dormant but I click on update acknowledgments and his is now also showing as accepted.  I have ProSeries set to not transmit unless it is marked as set to e-file.  I open up her return this morning.  There is a 9325 saying life is wonderful, your return has been accepted.  I always print the log of returns being transmitted and she isn't on the list from last night.  I see that the "return ready to efile" is grayed out on her return, but not checked.  I also see that the return is showing 14 errors.  What the $%%^^%##%^^%$#@#@!!! is going on?  @IntuitGabi  any guidance on what happened?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, I bit the bullet and called support.  I actually got through immediately to support and a very nice lady helped me out.  Found out the spouse's return didn't show up on Intuit's computers.  She tried a few things to see if we could get it out of the accepted tab, without success.  Finally I just deleted the return and did a fresh transfer.  I am back in sync and life is good.  Well, not necessarily good since I lost part of the day to play this game of hide and seek but at least I am back in business.  I'll give a thumbs up to support for today.  Actually I'll give two thumbs up ------------- I'm feeling generous.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

22 Comments 22
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Someone else mentioned this in FB PS group. They could NOT understand how a return was efiled with errors in them. The error conversion was NOT unchecked. Im unsure if she ever got a satisfactory answer from Intuit. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

It's the screwiest thing I have seen, and I have seen some screwy things over the years here.  I'm not sure where the "acceptance" is at.  Is it a bogus message in my system so if I delete that return and transfer from last year it will be able to e-file?  Or am I going to have to end up filing an amended return?  Believe it or not, I am not the happiest of campers this morning.  Playing this game was not slotted into today's schedule when I got here this morning.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive seen a few reports of this, makes no sense.
Also seeing acks for returns that were NOT filed, but someone with a similar name was filed and that persons ack didnt come through....like the ack attached to the wrong file or something.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

I haven't had much need to talk to the e-services folks but you might give them a call and see which return actually got transmitted under that submission ID.

IRonMaN
Level 15

They are both showing the same submission ID, but since the state is showing as accepted for him, I assume his return was the one actually submitted.  It's like he drove down the e-file road and she popped out of the trunk when they got to their destination.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

I remembered a post from Gabi

"Continue to tag me, @IntuitGabiU, for topics you believe need extra eyes & please welcome @IntuitBrittneyS and @IntuitZacharyG to the party by adding them to the conversation if needed"

So would Brittney or Zachary like to join this party?

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, I bit the bullet and called support.  I actually got through immediately to support and a very nice lady helped me out.  Found out the spouse's return didn't show up on Intuit's computers.  She tried a few things to see if we could get it out of the accepted tab, without success.  Finally I just deleted the return and did a fresh transfer.  I am back in sync and life is good.  Well, not necessarily good since I lost part of the day to play this game of hide and seek but at least I am back in business.  I'll give a thumbs up to support for today.  Actually I'll give two thumbs up ------------- I'm feeling generous.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

Wait - I provided the solution to my problem.  Oh boy, I get to mark my own answer as solved.  What a wonderful day this turned out to be after all.😜

Slava Ukraini!
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

oK... so it's midnight in Tennessee, and the screwiest thing just happened, but next level til i read your post @IRonMaN .  I have this couple that got divorced on 2020, so to save time etc, i split the return xxxx-tp.20i and xxxx-sp.20i, No problem on 2020. so moments ago, i efile the wife (aka xxxx-sp.21i  come back to the puter in a few... and WTH, the ex-husband (aka xxxx-tp.21i), shows returned accepted.  well, I'm far from perfect, but I couldn't believe i had messed up that bad (and i didn't even have a 8879 back from him).  Decide i'll battle with that over the weekend, so go to e-file the ex-spouse.  Lo and Behold, it shows it has been 'transmitted', but stopped at that step. I go over in the accepted tab, click on the ex-hubby return, and it's got more red on it   than my first college English paper. I am really confused now....how did it pass the checks to file....but... the plot thinnens... i just casually look at the acks and they are identical. So I'm thinking the IRS thinks these former lovers have reconciled or something, unbeknownst to me. So, at least misery loves company, but do you think i should delete ole xxxx-tp.21i, and see if the lady goes thru, and start over on him?

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@IRonMaN @dd4vols 

GREMLINS

IRMN, did the returns actually transmit to the IRS or did they get hung up in Intuit-limbo-land? 

Edit:  okay, so the returns went to limbo land….  I’m presuming no explanation was offered by the tech? Harry Potter?

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
IRonMaN
Level 15

No explanation from the tech other than, “that’s strange”.  And no explanations from the moderators that were tagged - that isn’t strange.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I didn’t notice on first glance that dd also posted.  The return never made it to the IRS.  Delete the return for the ghost acceptance.  I also deleted the joint return and put a stake through its heart ———- you can’t be too safe when you are dealing with demons.

Slava Ukraini!
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

ok... so it worsens... I just e-filed the husband (filed spouse a few days ago..which started this nonsense)..... and it is stuck in 'transmitted' and when you click on it to update... it shows the information for the spouse that  i finally got to file a few days ago.  and the husband has new ack#  but shows spouse status.  This is getting ridiculous.  

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
IRonMaN
Level 15

I haven't prepared the other half of the tag team yet ------------------ but that gives me something to look forward to 🤐

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Id rename the file to something really different than the other. Ive seen people have it happen with non related clients, just happen to have the same last name and similar filenames.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rcooley25
Level 11

Considering what we have been thru this season regarding customer support rather than giving them two thumbs up would not the middle finger do?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think you are confusing support with programming.  Don't blame support for piss poor performance in the programming department.  And even then it is probably another level above them that made the decisions to cause this year's problems.  I have complained about support for years.  But when I did reach out, they came through with flying colors so I will give credit when credit is due.

Slava Ukraini!
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Hey Lisa, ....but what about the acks that were assigned to this file? they are different than the ones for the other spouse. (good thing hope).

And by renaming the file, do you mean save the file with a new name, or try to rename the actual files somewhere deep in the bowels of proseries?  I'm not sure my level of intelligence will allow me to accomplish the latter...unless it;s easier than I think.

dave

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

You will have to Contact ProSeries to resolve this. There's a hidden menu that will have to be accessed by a support representative when "Resetting a ProSeries E-file Status". 
When saving your returns please do not select "Save as", it's possible the file names get mixed up this way. Instead, select "Save". 

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

So, I did contact support...very short wait-time, and got this wonderful agent named Stephanie.  She logged on to my computer.  Had me go to the EF center and click on the file(do not open) that was my problem. which was, at this juncture, XXXXX_tp>>then go up to e-file on the top row>>> click on that and choose electronic filing>>>>Update acknowledgement on selected file>>> and presto..it's fixed. 

18birdies
Level 1

Dragging this pre-extension thread back to life. I went to prepare a return tonight and it was showing the 1040 as accepted (with no extension). 

Turns out by filing the client's ex wife's return in March, the program showed his efile status as accepted. We use the EF Status for filing extensions so no extension was filed. Should be fun to explain to the client and to the IRS when trying to get the penalties abated (he owes $20k).

Found two other clients with the same issue. Luckily they both get refunds.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Just send this thread to the IRS to explain things😉

Slava Ukraini!