Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After installation Program asks for licensing at each startup

ronryder
Level 2

I have installed the 2021 product on the admin computer and workstations.  The product seemed to install fine but preform the the licensing and firm information check with each startup.  Is there a way to correct this?  I do not want to reinstall since I have made significant modifications to forms printing.

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Matt C
Employee
Employee

Hi @ronryder,

Are you seeing this happen on every installation, or a particular one?

On the machine where the issue is happening, can you open the file, C:\ProWin21\32bit\ProWin21.INI, in notepad or any text editor, and search for "[ConnectedCustomer]"? Under that, there should be a line that says "Stage=".

What is the number there?

If the above number is 0, can you try changing that to 4, saving the file, then restarting ProSeries a couple times to see if the issue comes back? The issue shouldn't happen the first time you restart, but it might come back after that.

Regards,
Matt

0 Cheers
ronryder
Level 2

Hi Matt-

It only happens on one machine which is the admin machine (not the server).  I checked the file as you requested on that machine and the line reads State=4 so I did not make any changes.

Matt C
Employee
Employee

Hi Ron,

That is unexpected.. Did you check the INI file after having logged into ProSeries, or did you check while ProSeries was closed? Whichever way you tried, could you try the other way as well?

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, could you confirm the behavior below?

1. You start ProSeries

2. You see a dialog with the title "Welcome to ProSeries", with your Customer Number and Zip Code filled in:

connected customer dialog.png

3. You click Next, verify your firm info, and click next again

4. You see this final page (but with products in the list): 

connected customer dialog 3.png

5. You click Continue, and ProSeries starts, along with the updater.

6. The next time you start ProSeries, the exact same thing happens again.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you're already aware of this, but as a temporary workaround, if you cancel the first dialog (titled Welcome to ProSeries), ProSeries should take you right to the login screen. 

Thank you for your patience,
Matt

0 Cheers
ronryder
Level 2

Hi Matt-

I originally had the program running when I checked the ini file.  I checked it again without the program running and the Stage=0.  I changed it to 4 and saved it.  It does not seem to have worked.  I did go back after closing the program a couple of times to confirm that the ini file still is set at State=4.

The behavior you detailed below is correct.  If I use the workaround you have proposed will I be licensed when using the product (able to print and have full function)??

This may not be related but I noticed when opening QuickBooks 2019 I was asked to license the product.   I did the online licensing and it has not asked again.

0 Cheers
Matt C
Employee
Employee

Thank you for the info, Ron. Yes, you should be licensed even if you cancel out of that first dialog. 

I'm not able to reproduce the issue so it's tough to investigate. I don't want to bother you too much on this forum to continue troubleshooting, so if it's alright with you, I will add more logging to the early January release of ProSeries, and we can reconvene once you have that update.

So after the next update of ProSeries (should be Jan 5), please start ProSeries. Go through the wizard, licensing again. Sign in, and then from HomeBase, go to the Menu > Help > Send Logs.

Finally, please email the zip file on your desktop to proseries_engineering@intuit.com, including your username in the email so we know it's you.

Thank you,
Matt

0 Cheers
Matt C
Employee
Employee

Hi Ron, actually, if it's not too much trouble, could you follow the steps I mentioned above to email us your log files before the January update? There's one more thing that I want to check. Please include your username somewhere in the email so we know it's you.

Thank you,
Matt

0 Cheers
ronryder
Level 2

Hi Matt-

The files were emailed this morning.   Thanks for your help.

Matt C
Employee
Employee

Hi @ronryder , here's some good news to start the year - I was able to find out what's going on!

There's a bug we'll need to look into around pinning ProSeries on the taskbar. For now, please use the shortcut on the desktop or Start Menu.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Cheers
ronryder
Level 2

Thanks Matt it looks like that worked.  Thanks for your help and happy new year!

Matt C
Employee
Employee

Hi @ronryder , just letting you know that today's update of ProSeries should resolve the issue. After updating, you should be able to start PS and pin it to the Taskbar (after removing the existing shortcut if you still have it there). The licensing dialog should not come up.

Regards,
Matt

0 Cheers