Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a client who forgot to take RMD from 401K in 2018.

BarbA
Level 1

My client did not take his 401K RMD in 2018 and just discovered this.  Does he contact the financial distributor and take the RMD now and it is filed with 2019 return.  Or do we file an amended 2018 return to include the RMD for his 2018 RMD on the 401K. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Best Answers

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Take the 2018 ASAP and be sure to also get the 2019 this year. This will result in both being taxed in 2019. There is a penalty for not taking the RMD, so you should file a 5329 for 2018. You can request a waiver of the penalty. https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-required-minimum-distributions#...

The 5329 can be filed all by itself. There is signature area on page 2, so it can be completed and mailed with either payment or waiver request. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

abctax55
Level 15

Do what George says and especially emphasize the the error was corrected as soon as it was noticed and that measures have been put into place to make sure the mistake doesn't happen again.

BUT I would NOT pay the penalty.  The IRS has historically waived it.  And it is much easier to get someone to just say "sure, waive it" than it is to find someone to cut a check to refund the payment.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

Take the 2018 ASAP and be sure to also get the 2019 this year. This will result in both being taxed in 2019. There is a penalty for not taking the RMD, so you should file a 5329 for 2018. You can request a waiver of the penalty. https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-required-minimum-distributions#...

The 5329 can be filed all by itself. There is signature area on page 2, so it can be completed and mailed with either payment or waiver request. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
abctax55
Level 15

Do what George says and especially emphasize the the error was corrected as soon as it was noticed and that measures have been put into place to make sure the mistake doesn't happen again.

BUT I would NOT pay the penalty.  The IRS has historically waived it.  And it is much easier to get someone to just say "sure, waive it" than it is to find someone to cut a check to refund the payment.

( Generic Comment )"
BarbA
Level 1

Thank you for your assistance.  I will inform him to contact the financial institution and request the RMD for both 2018 and 2019.  I will then file form 5329 requesting a waiver for the 2018 RMD.

abctax55
Level 15

And do it NOW....

I have had issues with some financial institutions thinking this is way too late in the year to actually process the request.

And YVW

( Generic Comment )"