Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to override the Client Letter for paper filing return

qwertyui
Level 3

How can I override or get rid this part: "Mail your Federal return on or before December 15, 2019 to:", client gets confused that he needs to mail out the return himself.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its too late (or too early, depending on how you look at it) to Efile, so mailing would be your only option...what is it you want the letter to say?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

Our PTO expert is on holiday... @itonewbie  but he might check in.

In Lacerte, that is triggered by entering a date in the penalty computation screen 8.  AND you can override the filing date in Screen 3 (Miscellaneous).  

PTO is Lacerte's stepchild, so trying looking for those data entry points.

Good luck

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

Thanks for flagging me, @abctax55!

@qwertyui You can override the due date so that the client letter, which is really just basic filing instructions, will show the proper due date instead of the date to which P&I are calculated.  But there's no way to change it to something like ASAP and provide a more elaborate explanation that the P&I has been calculated to a certain date, etc.

The override can be found under GeneralLetter, beneath the Client Letter section, on the line for Due date of return [Override].

If you would like to further customize the filing instructions, using a PDF editor will not get you a lot of milage because of way texts are formatted.  You'd be better off creating one with Word.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar