Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REP sales tax

jerry
Level 5

I had sales tax suddenly appear on my REP fees starting in December.  For years before, Lacerte properly didn't charge me sales tax (downloaded software in California is an untaxed intangible).

Has this happened to anybody else?  I submitted a REP billing error notice online 2 weeks ago; no response.  So I called billing support yesterday, and used the callback option.  They called me back 3.75 hours later (!), the support rep wasn't sure what I was talking about,  took 20 minutes to submit a case, and said I'd get an email immediately with tracking, and daily update info.  Of course I didn't, and the Lacerte program of course says the case is closed.  But my REP bill hasn't been corrected.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
George4Tacks
Level 15

I assume you never received a CD for the software. Maybe @IntuitAustin can get someone at Lacerte to look into your issue.  It may be part of new REP "improvement" program. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
abctax55
Level 15

Several folks are complaining about the same issue on a different list-serve.  To no avail yet (of course...).

Guess I better go check mine to make sure I'm not getting dinged.

Intuit's ability to break things that used to work just fine is truly amazing.....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Could it be a certain state thing, your state says sales tax needs to be added now?  (sounds like an A-hole move CA would make)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
jerry
Level 5

While I normally wouldn't put a "revenue enhancement" like that past California, in this case CA law didn't change - I checked.  Downloaded software is still considered an intangible that is exempt from sales tax. I've always downloaded Lacerte, so never any tangible physical media.

jerry
Level 5

Update:

After not getting the promised email updates, I called Lacerte back.  Only 14 minutes on hold.

The rep that answered found my old case from last week (as expected, it was closed) and there were no notes.  Basically, my old case died when we hung up, with no action.

So she started again.  

42 minutes into our call, she said that her Supervisor said it was a "known issue" and it would be resolved "soon."  I would get an email with updates.

But I learned  from my past experience.  I told her that I wasn't ending the call until I had an email from her supervisor that I would indeed get a credit.  I didn't want to send another 45 minutes getting to this point.  

It only took another 14 minutes to get the following email: "The Web Team has been informed about the Sales Tax issue within the software and is working to get resolved as quickly as possible. Credits will be processed once resolved. case # xxxxxxxx"

No immediate credit, no commitment on a credit, no schedule.

I gave up.

I did ask for a supervisor to call me back.  Their commitment is 24-48 biz hours.  I'm not holding my breath....

abctax55
Level 15

You could consider challenging the credit card charge, but Intuit would likely freeze your account for any future REP.

Still might be worth it 😉

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
jerry
Level 5

I threatened that to the support person.  I think she's heard it before.

But you're right, not worth it.

IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

I am looking into this issue and will let you know as soon as I find out any additional information. We appreciate your patience as we work through this. 

-Betty Jo 

0 Cheers
jerry
Level 5

Thank you, Betty Jo.

Just FYI, I never received a call back from anyone at Intuit on this.  So much for a 24-48 hour commitment!

IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jerry

I was informed that the issue has been resolved and you should expect to see the credit on your next billing statement.  Thanks for your patience while we resolved this matter. 

-Betty Jo