Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Lacerte Supercede for individual income tax?

StormFS
Level 2

Does Lacerte have the  Supercede capability for individual income tax?  I would think it would for what we pay for it.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
abctax55
Level 15

Check out the 5-6 hits that pop up when you type "supersede" into the search box..... 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
pamdory
Level 8

Prepare for the next onslaught. Taxspeaker - who I appreciate- apparently is advocating for the Superceded return. 

It's the new unemployment topic.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Did "Taxspeaker" mention that you need to paper file the superseded return? 

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/newsletters/2020/may/covid-19-coronavirus-tax-relief-quirks.html

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
pamdory
Level 8

I haven't listened to it yet, but a colleague who did said he specified you had to e-file. 

I asked if he was discussing business returns at the time, and she wasn't sure.

So all hearsay at this point!  I need to carve an hour out of somewhere to listen for myself.  I'm sure I can find one somewhere...

0 Cheers
StormFS
Level 2

No-that it should be able to e-file.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@George4Tacks wrote:

Did "Taxspeaker" mention that you need to paper file the superseded return? 

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/newsletters/2020/may/covid-19-coronavirus-tax-relief-quirks.html

(This is not directed at you specifically George, just picking on your article.)

The Tax Adviser article is outdated, it was written prior to the IRS allowing efile of amended 1040 returns.  On May 21, 2020 it was correct that you had to paper file a superseding return.

It is also correct (and stated in the article) that an amended return filed prior to the due date is considered a superseding return.  So e-filing an amended 2020 individual return prior to 4/15/21* is the same as filing a superseding return.

That said, the main reason you would need to file a superseding return (prior to the due date) rather than an amended return (filed after the due date) is because you need to change the filing status from MFJ to MFS.  That brings us back to the efile question which is addressed in IRS FAQ here:

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

"5. If the Filing Status differs from the Filing Status on the Original Return, then the Amended Return must be filed by paper."

We get to the same answer at the end of the day (paper file) but with different paths.  If you have to paper file anyway, you might as well print out a regular 1040 and write "SUPERSEDING RETURN" on the top of it.  That's probably easier than using a 1040X anyway.

If you're not changing filing status then you're probably under some misconception that a superseding return is going to mean something different than an amended return because in reality there are only a few important elections that must be made on an original return.  If you haven't already made those, then yes, supersede, but in that respect this year is no different than any other year.

Are we having fun yet?  Please tell me when we're supposed to start having fun.  Today I'm mostly just irritated (and it probably shows) so I may have to cold-turkey this place for a few days.

Rick

* As of this writing on 3/17/21, the due date of 2020 individual 1040s is still 4/15/21.  When someone reads this later after the deadline has been extended it may no longer be correct.

George4Tacks
Level 15

I think e-filing a MFJ to MFS amended return is going to be difficult, if at all possible. It would involve two tax returns and only one of them was originally filed in the software. 

I have been known to be wrong before, but I am having fun now. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

And remember, if you misspell SUPERSEDING at the top of Page 1040, it will delay processing six months.  But IRS will be paying you interest all that time, at a far higher rate than you can get at the bank.  (But a lower rate than the dividends from your HRB shares.)