Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return filed with wrong name

momma1
Level 3

Received a call from an individual. His taxes were filed with the wrong first name and his Social Security number was off by one number.  His last name and address were correct on his return.  He received a check from the IRS with the wrong first name.  How should this be corrected.  Should a new return be filed, and the check sent back with an explanation or should a 1040X be filed.  Not sure how to resolve this problem.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

My opinion is a 1040X is required and check needs returned. 

What bank is going to take a check from your client with the wrong name. - hopefully none.

I'm curious as to how such a mess could happen in the first place.   This individual didn't notice the incorrect name when they signed the 8879s????  

momma1
Level 3

Thank you for your response.  I am not sure who did the original tax return. 

dkh
Level 15

Speaking from experience, clients like this only stick around until their problems are solved then they're off to the next preparer.     Charge them a premium for this fix and get your money before the returns are efiled/mailed. 

momma1
Level 3

Great advise. I will do so.

Thank you

BobKamman
Level 15

Are you sure he doesn't have a brother with that name, who at least at one time lived at the same address?  The last name and SSN must have matched, or no check would have been issued.  I have seen family members with consecutive SSN's issued at the same time, although not recently.  

Did you prepare the return, or is this just your problem now because yours was the next number in the phone book?

Are there still phone books?  

0 Cheers
momma1
Level 3

Hi 

No brothers, I didn't prepare the return I think I was referred by someone he knows and I do their return.

From what he is saying the address is correct as well as the last name, but first name and one number in the social security number is off.  He received the check as David and he is Daniel.

To do the 1040X I will need to use the incorrect name and Social and return the check with the correct name and social in the explanation, but how would it calculate to show he would receive the refund.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I would first want to see the return that was filed with the correct name.  Is the refund shown on the return, the same amount as what he received?  Have you checked the status of his refund, online?  Does he file a state return?  

Don't do a whole lot of work based just on a phone call.  

0 Cheers