Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissolving S-Corp - taxation on remaining assets

dkh
Level 15

I have a client waiting on K-1 for S-Corp that's final year was 2019.  My client (husband and wife) are the only shareholders left in what once was a family owned business.  The tax firm (which has had this S-Corp since clients parents formed it) preparing return says they must pay tax on the difference of current FMV of land and original cost shown in S-Corp.   I've not had experience with dissolving a corporation but I don't think this is accurate.  Why wouldn't the land just have a deed transfer from corporation to the shareholder?    Sorry I don't have lots of details that may be needed.  Any help will be appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

The S corp guys are right, you have to treat the land as if it had been sold - you can't distribute out assets at book value if the FMV is higher.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

The S corp guys are right, you have to treat the land as if it had been sold - you can't distribute out assets at book value if the FMV is higher.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

This is the #1 reason why you don't put appreciable property into an S Corp.  At least now they'll know for next time. 🙂

dkh
Level 15

Oh lordy.    Thank you @IRonMaN .  I'll pass that information on to my client along with a box of tissues.

dkh
Level 15

Guess the attorney that helped clients father setup this farm S-Corp didn't convey that or the father thought - not my problem I'll be dead when it's dissolved. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

New question - dissolution of S-corp has been filed with state, can that be revoked?

EDIT:   I withdraw this question.  I know it's not tax preparation related.  And since the S-Corp that this is relative to isn't even my client I'll take the position - Not my problem.  😁

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

That's a legal question. Check with the attorney. My guess is No.

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

@dkh wrote:

New question - dissolution of S-corp has been filed with state, can that be revoked?

I withdraw this question.  I know it's not tax preparation related.  And since the S-Corp that this is relative to isn't even my client I'll take the position - Not my problem.  😁        Thanks everyone for the help.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Not my problem."

But apparently, your clients' problem, so it is nice to see you care enough to try and find out issues that impact them. You get an "atta-boy/girl"!

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
dkh
Level 15

Girl, thank you.    Yeah, I do care.  They're good people that haven't been advised well.   Client is already on the war path to his attorney. 

0 Cheers