Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have got to be kidding me

PATAX
Level 15

Received email from Intuit where they say they are moving to "download only" for future. For the 2023 tax year we can still request a CD. The reason they said that they are moving to download only in future is to "make a measurable positive impact on the environment". What a joke. Just how is this going to make an impact on the environment by not making a disk? Unbelievable. How about sticking to making a quality product or improving it.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

They are trying to go green —————- more green dollars in their pocket😜

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

17 Comments 17
IRonMaN
Level 15

They are trying to go green —————- more green dollars in their pocket😜

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Are they pretending that they have a social conscience by acting like they are concerned about the environment or the community in which we live in? If that is the case, then why don't they bring back all the jobs that they sent overseas with tech support and customer support? After all, if one doesn't have a good paying job, then what good does the environment do for him?

BobKamman
Level 15

Haven’t you ever wondered how many trees were cut down to produce those cardboard mailers for CD’s? How much fuel is used taking them to the Post Office, then delivering them to your mailbox. (Yes, I know, the letter carrier might be stopping by anyway.)

Did you think CD’s grow on trees? First you dig a hole in the ground, to extract oil for plastic; aluminum; and maybe some silver or gold. Then you build an airtight room where no dust is allowed.

Raw Materials

A compact disc is a deceptively simple looking device considering the technology required to make it. CDs consist of three layers of materials:

A base layer made of a polycarbonate plastic.
A thin layer of aluminum coating over the polycarbonate plastic.
A clear protective acrylic coating over the aluminum layer.
Some manufacturers use a silver or even gold layer instead of the aluminum layer in the manufacture of their compact discs.

The Manufacturing Process

Compact discs must be manufactured under very clean and dust free conditions in a "clean room," which is kept free from virtually all dust particles. The air in the room is specially filtered to keep out dirt, and occupants of the room must wear special clothing. Because an average dust particle is 100 times larger than the average pit and land on a CD, even the smallest dust particle can render a disc useless.

Read more: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Compact-Disc.html#ixzz8DtZPRKAr 

PATAX
Level 15

Bob you are very intelligent and you know that nature replenishes itself. For example, when the first settlers came to Pennsylvania they said a squirrel in a tree in Philadelphia could go all the way to Pittsburgh without ever touching the ground, just tree to tree. The whole state was a giant forest. When the settlers came they cleared out most of the land for farming. With the onset of industrialization many of those farms have now turned back into woodlands,  which are everywhere. So I don't mind when a tree gets cut down and is used to make a Steinway piano or Stradivarius violin.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Trees will grow back if planted but I don’t know how many seeds it takes to grow a gallon of oil or a pound of aluminum.😊

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

A CD does not have to be thrown out. It has other uses. For example, a fat woman can use CDs for buttons on her clothes.

dascpa
Level 11

I have done the download for years and never had a problem.  Many new computers don't even come with CD players.  My computer still accepts 8-tracks and cassettes.

My issue is - other companies have done the same but not reduced their shipping and handling fee.  What shipping and handling is there for a download?

PATAX
Level 15

My computer crashed in the past and I needed that initial CD to redownload. Another poster recently said the same thing. You need that CD just in case your system crashes. They're using the Environmental angle as an excuse.

dascpa
Level 11

Maybe it's something P.S. does on their initial CD but from a computer perspective it would make no difference if the program comes from a CD, a USB, download or anything else.  I've replaced computers, restored from a hard drive crash (SSD's don't crash like the old hard drives) and never had an issue with a redownload.

BobKamman
Level 15

@dascpa "Many new computers don't even come with CD players."  

Exactly.  My new computer is half the size of a Kleenex box.  I have an external disk drive that I'm thinking of hooking up.  First, though, I should plug in the cable.  It's been running on WiFi since April.  

PATAX, though, is the kind of person who still prints out boarding passes at the airport. 

"Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama squirrels in trees in between"

PATAX
Level 15

I knew you were going to bring up that quote from your Cajun friend.

PATAX
Level 15

Speakin of your Cajun friend: "I can remember the 4th of July, runnin through the woods of PA, I can still hear Jim Carville barkin, get PA and Heidi today, get PA and Heidi today."🤓🐕

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I like squirrels better than people, so what is meant to be a slam, isn't for me.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

As a side note, I prefer a tree over a cactus.  

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  One thing you have to admit about cactus, they aren't as easy as trees to hide in for an escaped murderer.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Does that mean you are putting a plug in to have AZ be the go to place for all convicted murderers to be housed?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman @IRonMaN Southwest has one of the shortest in height population in the USA, and one of the highest crime rates. Therefore some of those midget murderers on the loose can hide behind cactuses. But they have to be careful, as some of those Desert Eagles might swoop down and snatch up the Midgets.🧙‍♂️🧝‍♂️🧍‍♂️🦅🦅🦅😉