Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if a partner in a partnership has ordinary business losses on his K-1 , but his basis in the partnership is negative. When i enter his K-1 on his 1040, is Proseries software has a place to enter partner's basis and to automatically disallow the losses .

Ismail9491
Level 2

If a partner in a partnership has a K-1 with ordinary business loss, but his basis in the partnership is negative. When i enter his K-1 to his 1040. Is pro series software has a place on the 1040 to enter the negative basis and automatically disallow the losses for the year? Or do i have to keep track of the basis

in the partnership and report the losses on his 1040 only to the extent the basis allow

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

ProSeries does not have a way to limit losses due to Basis.

Only enter the allowable losses, and then manually keep track of unallowed losses to be carried forward.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

In part II of the K-1 entry worksheet there is a quickzoom box to form 6198 to enter at-risk limitation information. That "should" do it. (Haven't tried one for a while with that situation so no guarantees)

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@jeffmcpa2010 wrote:

In part II of the K-1 entry worksheet there is a quickzoom box to form 6198 to enter at-risk limitation information. That "should" do it. (Haven't tried one for a while with that situation so no guarantees)

Those are for At-Risk limitations, not Basis limitations.  Form 6198 should not be filed for Basis limitations.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Part II and Part III of 6198 start out by asking for your basis.

IF Basis is 0 it will limit losses.

If you have no basis you are considered "not  at risk" and 6198 is required and will limit the losses.

I disagree with your conclusion, but we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It gets to the right bottom line so sometimes you just need a little duct tape and a pair of scissors to get ProSeries to work like you want it to.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

There are three separate limits, in this order:  Basis, At-Risk, and Passive.

If Basis is limited, At-Risk does not apply.

0 Cheers
anitacpa1
Level 1

I use proseries.  I tried to limit the loss for a partner with a loss & negative basis by entering zero on lines 6,11of part II & III on form 6198.  The loss was still allowed so I overrode the loss on Section C on the K-1 input sheet. 

I suggest that a line be added on the federal carryover sheet to keep track of the disallowed losses for partners or add a worksheet to the K-1 to keep track of the partner's basis. 

0 Cheers