Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are 15 year depreciable assets (QLIP/QRIP) not allowing me to elect 100% bonus depreciation without override in ProSeries 2018?

n_ferland
Level 1

I am trying to include bonus depreciation on qualified leasehold improvements (15 year life) but I cannot elect it without overriding.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As of now, they DON'T have a 15 year life and DON'T qualify for Bonus Depreciation.

However, because the INTENT of the TCJA was to make it 15 years and qualify for Bonus, there is VERY likely going to be a change to that.

Until/unless Congress changes that, you probably should not claim 15 years and Bonus.  If/when they change that, you can go to the Federal Info Worksheet (where you enter the taxpayer's name, address, etc.) and check the box to apply the 15 year rules (see picture).

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As of now, they DON'T have a 15 year life and DON'T qualify for Bonus Depreciation.

However, because the INTENT of the TCJA was to make it 15 years and qualify for Bonus, there is VERY likely going to be a change to that.

Until/unless Congress changes that, you probably should not claim 15 years and Bonus.  If/when they change that, you can go to the Federal Info Worksheet (where you enter the taxpayer's name, address, etc.) and check the box to apply the 15 year rules (see picture).

0 Cheers
IntuitCharlene

I'm seeing the same behavior for 2018. I know there were a few depreciation rules that changed around Qualified Leasehold Improvements for the year. Let me do some digging on this and get back to you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I'm not in front of the software right now, but isn't there a new checkbox on the Info Wks re:QIP?  I think we're still waiting on a technical correction since, as written, the law contradicts itself.  I've been wondering what that checkbox actually does. 🙂

Rick
0 Cheers
IntuitCharlene
Great call out! On the Federal Info Worksheet there is a box for 2017 Tax Cuts and Job Act that uses the 15-year recovery period. If you check that YES it does allow you to check the Qualified Property box on the asset entry worksheet.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers