Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is more stupid? Me or Proseries?

pkellycpa
Level 5

I tried to go to Ultra Tax to get a decent tax package.

Took a change and bought the package even with no demo, but no go. Their input and data entry sucked.

Proseries is determined to sell individual Turbo Tax programs and does not care a whit about the professional preparers.

It's enough to make you weep.

8 Comments 8
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks for the information on ultra tax... I think I got something from them in the mail or email, as well as from others, but I usually just ignore it.

abctax55
Level 15

(I'm a Lacertian) 

I tested out UT several years ago (at that time, they *did* provide a demo that I used on extended returns.

The software had many features that were better than Lacerte; but Lacerte had quite a few that I liked better.  I decided to stay with the devil I know (for 30+ years).

If I remember correctly, the data input is similar to Lacerte - which is really, really different from PS.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Who is more stupid? Me or Proseries?"

Please don't make us think so hard on a weekend 😉

There is no such thing as the perfect software.  Every software out there does something better than the one you are using ......................... and the current one also does something better than the software you are evaluating. 

For me the software worked relatively well this year.  I would have said "well" instead of "relatively well" if I hadn't had to make my first phone call to support in years.  But support answered the phone right away, the support person was polite, I could easily understand the support person (I hate having to deal with support based in Louisiana ---------- I have trouble understanding Cajun), and we got my problem solved in a short period of time.  But with that said, dealing with Intuit can be maddening at times.  The standard line of "in a future update" is enough to make you want to scream.  Give us an estimate ....... with a broad range that you know you can meet.  Running a tax practice is almost impossible when all you can tell a client is ....................."I have your return almost done but I'm waiting for a software update that may not come before hell freezes over".  To keep this discussion relatively short, I'll leave things like 8915F, 7203, etc out of this discussion.

So in summation, I do hate Intuit, but I don't have a good enough reason at this time to move to another company that I probably would also learn to hate.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

@IRonMaN  Holy Cow!  Whatever are you on this morning, I want some. I mean 25 lines???

Now I'll have to first first read A Tale of Two Areas in which a Large Number of People Live Fairly Close Together, and Have Their Own Separate Governments and Systems for Maintaining and Providing Utilities and Transportation to prepare myself for reading your post....

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
IRonMaN
Level 15

I had words I needed to empty out of my computer since I hadn't posted for a couple of days.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

But you haven't emptied out the cuss words yet...  Better do it before the next tax season...

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
JRC
Level 8

Thanks for posting your review.

rcooley25
Level 11

Thats pretty much what I have been thinking. Dont need to bite of our nose to spite our face.