Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income/Firm transparency

MGC94
Level 7

How large is your firm?

How old is your firm? 

Gross receipts for 2022? 

How much do you make in the off season?

How many audits have you had? 

How much do you charge for 1040

1040x 

Schedule C

Schedule E

Schedule F

Scorp

Partnership 

0 Cheers
37 Comments 37
IRonMaN
Level 15

Are you doing a survey or what are you trying to get a handle on?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

You go first.

dascpa
Level 11

100,000 people. 100 years.  We don't charge, we do it because we're just having fun.

Do you really expect people to answer such personal questions?

And how exactly can you answer a question like how much do you charge for a 1040.  I'm sure in your practice every tax return is exactly the same so there is no variation.

Get real - no sarcasm......

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

How large is your firm?   Just me and a PT receptionist for 10 weeks of the season

How old is your firm?  I went on my own back in 2015? I think

Gross receipts for 2022?  2022 isnt over yet, so I havent counted

How much do you make in the off season? I have no idea, I add up all my income in Jan the following year

How many audits have you had?  No formal audits. Ive seen some new preparers that consider any type of IRS correspondence asking for anything to be an 'audit'.....its not.

How much do you charge for anything....Depends on whats involved and whether I like working with that particular client, a PITA surcharge is incorporated into some client fees.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  I went on my own back"

Unfortunate phrasing

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Congratulations, you just made it to my list of creepy guys. 🙄

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

You forgot to ask: What brand of toilet paper is used in the office bathroom? 😉

MGC94
Level 7

How many returns did you do?

How much do you normally make a year? 

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

Not a survey. Just wondering what other firms are like and prices 

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

Me go first. Okay. Our firm is in our house. It's a home office. My grandmother did it herself until 2016 she had a stand-alone computer. In 2017 we started the networking. 

How large is your firm? 800 accounts

How old is your firm? 25 years

Gross receipts for 2022? 100,000

How much do you make in the off season? I charge for doing sales tax $30 a quarter. We also have other family businesses besides the office.  

How many audits have you had? 2 and won both 

How much do you charge for 1040? Cheapest $0 Kids around $25 Average $125

1040x $175 and sometimes discount to $75 or $0

Schedule C $25-$50

Schedule E $25-$50

Schedule F $25

Scorp $500

Partnership $400 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
looks like I had just under 700 returns filed in 2021 (95% of those were 1040s) and I grossed just under 150k...Im not sure how this year will turn out yet.

I dont have set prices for forms or schedules. I might charge 200 to one person and 350 to another for a return that contains the exact same forms, but the 350 one was a PITA and had to come back 3 times for missing info.

Im quick with program entries, and most returning clients are in and out in less than 20mins.

I give price breaks to low income senior citizens and single parents, even though they might take up more of my time.

Taxprohere
Level 7

(Just-Lisa-Now-  I went on my own back")

Unfortunate phrasing

Maybe it's a laid-back business.

MGC94
Level 7

What is PITA? 

We had 800 accounts

Gross so far $100,000. I have about 50 who have not come back in yet to pay 

Probably between 50-100 returns we did for free. We live in a seasonal area where most people do not have the money... Seniors and single parents. 

Do you do bookwork? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

PITA = Pain in the A$$

I only have 1 bookkeeping client left, I hate it! I wish this guy would close up shop and retire already!  LOL

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Congratulations, you just made it to my list of creepy guys"

Ok, you got me curious -------- how long is that list?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Or maybe Bob is just rude and creepy to pluck a fragment of a sentence and turn it into a sexual innuendo on a tax professional message board.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

If someone ask me how much money I make I would tell them that it is none of their **bleep** business.

abctax55
Level 15

I can't even keep the lights/heat on for $ 125 per return....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rcooley25
Level 11

You have a lot of nerve asking a personal question like that. Anyone who would blab information like that to others mostlikely cant keep their clients personal information confidential.

ljr
Level 8

all I can say is WOW !

Pricing is also subjective to your location - you should add that question to your list

MGC94
Level 7

You are right. That is a good question. Just like we live in a tourist area where people only work in the summer. I feel so fortunate my grandmom built this for us for something to do in the off season. 

Anyone else going to share their firm/income transparency 

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

Since you are level 15, I am interested in hearing about your firm. 

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

My mom always says how cheap we are... The same return I charge $125 for come from H&R block and charge $300-$500. We do not have a mortage on our 6 bedroom, 2 bathroom, living room, kitchen, dining room, utility room, and our once "2nd living room" became a home tax office. If we had a mortgage or had to pay rent somewhere the price would have to go up. 

H&R block will charge a single mom with 1 w2 and 2 kids with a $8,000 refund $400... I feel like I can't do that. 

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

I saw a video where people responded to income transparency. I feel like I can be transparent. If you feel like you can't you do not have to answer. No sarcasm. 

I am trying to compare as I am learning and growing.

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

I 100% disagree with your statement. I am blabbing about my information. This has nothing to do with anyone but myself. 

Maybe I am from a different generation, but you can look up online @Salarytransparentstreet. There are 491K people interested. Highest viewed video is 17.7 million.  

I do not see the teacher on there telling what she makes and then also saying "And by the way, I had to put rcooley25 in detention today for not doing his homework" and blabbing peoples information. 

MGC94
Level 7

Feel free to start off with the questing PATAX

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

I see what you mean. We have a call for info and waiting for information system. It always fills up fast.   

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

If you can get by on that then more power to you. Needless to say most of us cannot do what you are doing. As far as H&R Block goes they have alway been way out of line with their fees. While I would like to sell my business and retire the only one who has shown an interest is H&R Block and I will not turn my business over to them no matter how much money they offer me.

ljr
Level 8

funny I just got a letter from H&R Block, get them every couple of months. Right in the garbage. Give me another 10 years or so then we can talk

BobKamman
Level 15

The teacher's salary is already public information if she works for a government employer or a nonprofit that relies on transparency to encourage donations.  You are confusing employee data with business data.  Aggregate, anonymous data is available for most small business.  It's absurd to expect your doctor, or your plumber, or your used-car dealer to tell you how much they make on each or every transaction.  

This reminds me of my nosy client who considers our annual meeting an opportunity for him to drill me about my own finances.  First he asks how many clients I have, then five minutes later he asks if his fee is below or above average, then ten minutes later he asks how much rent I pay and how much I pay my staff.  Just because I know how much you make, doesn't mean you get to know how much I make.  

MGC94
Level 7

I already did 

0 Cheers
MGC94
Level 7

Our firm also gets letters from H&R block and we would never sell to them. Considering we make 6 figures we can get buy with no mortgage. We also have other businesses as well since we are family operated 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@abctax55  I figure $125 is about my total office overhead, divided among all my clients.  I do some free returns for family and close friends, but for "pro bono" clients I often charge $125 so my generosity is not billed to other clients.  Maybe we should talk about where you are spending all your money.  As I tell my clients at my modest office next door to the hair salon, I don't pay any overhead.  My clients pay all my overhead.  When they tell me they want me in classier surroundings, I'll gladly raise my fees and move.  

0 Cheers
rcherenson
Level 4

I can relate to the PITA fee! Unfortunately it is necessary for a few, which I akin to a consultancy fee due to the time suck.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Since you are level 15, I am interested in hearing about your firm"

I started off working for a CPA firm that did quality work but was also known for its high prices.  Thirty years ago I started up doing my own thing.  That reputation of being expensive bothered me and I have over compensated over the years and work too cheap.  But preparing tax returns is just part of my gig.  We also do our fair share of auditing so I shift gears from tax to audit once that regular tax deadline hits.

Your thirst to find out what everyone else is doing doesn't really mean that much.  We all live in different areas and our clients often have different needs.  I could charge $25 for a tax return if I really wanted to and could probably make ends meet if I really needed to.  I live in a rural area and could probably live off the $25 return because I could fill up the freezer with fish and wild game instead of going to the grocery store.  Someone with a practice in downtown NY or LA aren't going to be able do that.  And besides, what are your real needs?  From dealing with clients over the years, I have learned that what someone considers a necessity changes as their income increases.  When you are making $25,000 a year, a new in '72 station wagon (with fake wood trim) is probably all you really need for transportation.  Someone making $250,000 could be thinking they wouldn't be caught dead in anything less than a brand new BMW.

So the moral of the story is, go do your thing and don't worry about what the other guy is doing.  I know years ago one of our competitors used to drive by our office at night to see if our lights were still on (his way of trying to determine how busy we were).  So do your thing and if your "thing" works for you I'll borrow from Nike and say "just do it".

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  My observation is that there are two kinds of small business.  One does a business plan based on achieving a bottom line that yields the maximum profit for the amount of effort the owner is willing to contribute.  The other (us crazy people) slog along making enough money to pay the bills, trying to keep them as low as possible so to be sure to avoid the job market.  The worst thing to do is let your clients become friends, because who likes asking your friend for money?  That's why we should keep and nurture the PITA clients.  Where else would they go?  They came to you when the competition dropped them.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

But do we have to nurture them? 😀

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers