Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will NYS start accepting returns that were efiled with the federal?

shf1957
Level 7

When will NYS start accepting efiled returns?  I think this is ridiculous. Tax season is suppose to be from Jan1-Mid April (18th this year).   I sincerely feel they should make it from February 1st to Mid May.   January is really a wasted month since alot of forms and programs are not up dated,  Efliling isn't open, allot of tax info for the clients aren't even in their possession yet.  I don't know if it's NYS that's not open or if this tax program isn't ready to process the state returns to NYS.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Federal e-filing has started by the last week of January for YEARS, not January 1.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I thought I saw somewhere that theyd start processing on 1/30 or 1/31, not sure what group it was in, probably over in Facebook.   I dont file NY returns so I wasnt paying complete attention.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
shf1957
Level 7

I fully understand that and never did state that you could start efiling Jan 1st... just that they state the tax season starts  then on January 1st....when  NO ONE is ready, IRS, States, Clients or Companies that need to issue  w2's or 1099s.  I think they should call January a preparation month of preparing for tax season... and then the companies would have all the info, hopefully, calculated and forms issued during that time for when the gates open for tax season. I just feel the initial opening of tax season should be February 1st.. makes more sense to me.  I only feel this way because they really don't have 3 1/2 months.. only 2 1/2 months.  It's just my opinion and to me, makes more sense and would run a lot smoother, less chances of clients forgetting to wait for a late 1099 when they submit info to soon etc..

shf1957
Level 7

Thank you, it probably was on facebook.  Cross my fingers that all these 30 returns, so far, for NYS will go through promptly then.  I just like to have my work completed and not keep any open waiting to be accepted ( since I print all the acceptances too for the clients).   Thank you again for your quick reply!  Stay Safe and have a great season!

shf1957
Level 7

Still  NYS hasn't approved any of my returns...  WOW they are so behind.    I think my clients will get their federal refunds way before NYS opens up.

0 Cheers