Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using two tax software programs?

PATAX
Level 15

Got an email today from Drake software to download a free trial of their software, and that got my pea brain thinking... Would there be an advantage to having two tax software programs? If you had an issue with one program, then could you prepare  that return on the other tax software?? I guess. You could also compare the two tax software programs, and maybe figure out what is going on if there is an issue with one program?. Of course the additional expense may not be worth it. I don't know,  just thinking, which I know I shouldn't do.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Sounds like making more work for myself, hard pass from me!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Sounds like making more work for myself, hard pass from me!

PATAX
Level 15

If you just used one has the primary tax software, and the other as a backup, then if you had issues with just a few well-paying clients' returns, and prepare those returns on the backup tax software, then it may be worth it financially. Plus I think it would be a good learning experience. I don't know, maybe I'm just a nerd...

IRonMaN
Level 15

One software is plenty.  If ProSeries goes to pot, I’ll wait until it is fixed rather than messing with 2 softwares 

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN yeah you're right Ironman. If it goes to pot, I think I would just hang it up, retire early, and be a full-time dog walker/hiker, that is if she hasn't pulled my arms out of their sockets by then...🐕👍

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
then Id have to learn how to effectively use 2 different programs....Id put my same software on 2 different systems, just in case one system had an issue before Id do that.

rbynaker
Level 13

I made a multi-year transition from ProSeries PPR to Drake PPR. I wouldn't recommend it in the middle of busy season but you could take a look after the filing deadline. The learning curve was fairly steep but I started with my simple returns (retirees on SS) and then moved other folks over in groups.