Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer proseries to a new computer

mmt01
Level 1

I am installing new computers. I am going from Windows 10 to Windows 10. I have Proseries Professional 2010 through 2018 installed on the old computer. Each of them is installed in the network configuration.

What is the easiest way to move to the new computers?

I assume the challenge lies in doing the transfer for the Admin computer since that is where the data files reside. I assume the networked computers will be easy since we just have to run the workstation installs.

So, how do I easily handle this move?

The old admin computer was a RAID mirror configuration; so, I can easily put one of the hard drives in a hard drive dock and access it on the new computer if that would provide the easiest means to move.

Can I just copy the Proseries and ProWin folders from the older hard drive to the new computer & then run installs for each tax year?

I would think this would somewhat follow the methodology used in the Proseries Backup Utility; but, the notes on that say it only for Standalone installs. I was bummed when I read that.

If this doesn't follow that methodology, what manual steps should I do? To me, what would be easy, is if someone would say: Copy these folders to the new computer & then run the installs on the new computer. That would be a nice Christmas Gift.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
mmt01
Level 1

This seems to be working for me for all years, one at a time:

-Install ProSeries for the year onto new computer

-Close ProSeries on new computer

-Copy the following folder from old computer to the same directory on the new computer, in this order:

-ProSeries>ProNetXX>XXData

-ProSeries>ProNetXX>common

-ProWinXX>HomeBase

-Open ProSeries & everything seems to be working fine

Accountant-Man
Level 13

Still need to Home Base Maintenance to get the returns showing in each Homebase type.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers