Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install of 2019 proseries product

JQ
Level 2

Can I use a transfer program like Laplink Promover, to move my Proseries earlier year programs to a new computer and then download and install 2019 Proseries program from the 2018 year?

I was using Windows 7 and am moving to 10, but it tells me that my system is not compatible to the  program, but I believe it is. Could I have not transferred all that I needed to make the move?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@JQ wrote:

Darn, it is a new computer, so do I need to remove the years I already transferred and then proceed as you suggest, or can I install from my account and they will copy over? I only transferred 3 years, but I actually have back to 2010 as the first year I purchased. Would I need to start there?

Personally I would remove what you moved over and do a fresh install from your Intuit Account.  If youre going to keep the old computer around, you probably only need to install the last 3-4 years onto the new computer, the chances of actually needing years older than 2015 is probably pretty slim and if you still have the old computer, you can always use it for those old years if need be.

Get the actual programs installed on the new computer first from your Intuit Online Account.

The folders that can be copied from the old computer and replaced on the new computer would be COMMON  HOMEBASE and the XXDATA folders for each individual year, that way you get all your settings and client files. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"I was using Windows 7 and am moving to 10, but it tells me that my system is not compatible to the  program, but I believe it is."

So you got a new computer thats Win 10?  Or you have the same computer and youve upgraded Win 7 to Win10?

If its a new computer, you should install the programs fresh from your online Intuit Account (start with the oldest year first), there are registry entries that get made during installation, merely moving them over from one computer to another will not install things properly.

JQ
Level 2

Darn, it is a new computer, so do I need to remove the years I already transferred and then proceed as you suggest, or can I install from my account and they will copy over? I only transferred 3 years, but I actually have back to 2010 as the first year I purchased. Would I need to start there?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@JQ wrote:

Personally I would remove what you moved over and do a fresh install from your Intuit Account.  If youre going to keep the old computer around, you probably only need to install the last 3-4 years onto the new computer, the chances of actually needing years older than 2015 is probably pretty slim and if you still have the old computer, you can always use it for those old years if need be.

Get the actual programs installed on the new computer first from your Intuit Online Account.

The folders that can be copied from the old computer and replaced on the new computer would be COMMON  HOMEBASE and the XXDATA folders for each individual year, that way you get all your settings and client files. 

0 Cheers
marescarlo
Level 1

i am an existing customer # [phone number removed] an want to install the 2019 which i received your cd at the office and want to install the program at my home computer and i am the administrator at the office and i installed the cd and nothing comes up ?

0 Cheers
sugarpooh
Level 1

I put the CD in the computer but it doesn't install

0 Cheers