Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax return rejections

rcooley25
Level 11

Has anyone had tax returns rejected this year because the IRS says the taxpayers social security number has appeared on another return and has been accepted? Please nbot I said taxpayers social security number and not a dependents social security number.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
dascpa
Level 11

We've all had it, every year.  It's become fewer and fewer over time.  It could be identity theft in total or it could be tax return identity theft, or it could be someone mailed in a return and misprinted a SSN.  You will never know.  Go to the IRS website and learn about tax return identity theft.  You will be required to mail in the tax return.  I then advise the client to freeze their three credit report accounts, possibly get a credit monitoring service like LifeLock or similar and apply to the IRS for an IP PIN.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

None here.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

None for me this year either. 

Although I did have a prior client receive a letter asking for id verification. They dont file as their only income is SS. So, I assume their SS# has been compromised. If its only one, I'd go under the assumption its identity theft, more than a few, I'd question my security protocols.

hhmcpa1
Level 1

We are having so many and all for kids that are too young to work. We have checked with our IT people and they have insured everything is locked down. I've called Pro Series a couple of times and they keep saying its and IRS issue. We maybe have 2 a year and it was because a teenager didn't know to mark they were still a dependent. But this year I bet we have had 20 or more and like I said all the kids it rejects for are 10 or under. Beyond frustrated.

0 Cheers