Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qualifying Child's electronically filed tax return is rejected due to recognition of SS#

KellD
Level 1

I have a client whose husband passed away in April of 2021.  Although I filed her single for the 2022 return (no small children at home) she qualified for the filing status of qualifying surviving spouse this year because her 34 yo son moved back home (alcoholic and in and out of rehabs) He is not listed as a dependent on her return.  He has essentially lived with her all year and she has supported him.  I’ve already filed her return noting the son’s name and SS# on her return.  I wanted to file for him (freefile thru IRS) so he could get his withholding back (or mom could lol).  The son’s return was rejected because the mother’s return was filed first and the IRS is recognizing the sons SS# from the mothers return. (Stated by the rejection notice)  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there any way to bypass the system to get the son’s return accepted via efiling?  I’d really appreciate your direction in this matter.

Thank you very much for your time!!!

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I thought they had to have a dependent kid to qualify for QSS, just like they did when they had the Qualifying Widow/er status.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
KellD
Level 1

I’ve checked the filing status section in irs.gov and one of the items does say your dependent OR a qualifying child if they don’t meet the income test. And on the front page of the 1040 it states to enter the child/persons name if filing HOH or QSS and not your dependent. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is that what you actually did? 

Or did you claim him as a dependent by mistake?

Ex-AllStar
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Agree w @sjrcpa … how did you “note” him on the return If you didn’t list him as a dependent? 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So if the 34 year old made less than 4700 then he can be claimed as dependent, and you wouldn't need for him to claim himself on his own return, just to get his withholding refunded.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

For HOH they need to be your dependent  OR are being claimed by the other parent as a dependent but live with you so you still get HOH status.

They cant claim themselves and still be a qualifying child.

0 Cheers
KellD
Level 1

I didn’t claim him as a dependent on the mother’s return. I just used him since he is living at home, not working and she’s supporting him to qualify her for the QSS filing status. I had to put his name and ss# on her return under filing status. Her return has been filed. I went to file the son’s return (earned $13,000) just to get the wh taxes back and that’s when it rejected the son’s return due to ss# already filed. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

A 34 year old adult with 13k in income is NOT a qualifying child for anyone, unless maybe if theyre permanently disabled?