Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superseded Dependent Tax Return

HuntFishTax
Level 3

Interesting situation - An associate accidentally did not check the box on a minor dependent tax return ($6k AGI) to be claimed on their parent's return. Both returns were electronically filed and parent's return was rejected because the child's return processed first. Things happen, it's tax season, we are all human.

Question - If we file a superseded return for the dependent, will that remove her own exemption allowing the parents to electronically file their own return? Or now no matter what will the parent's return have to be paper filed? Has anyone experienced this before?

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

The IRS is going to take some time to process so you can either paper file or extend and keep testing the waters periodically to see when the return actually clears.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Superseded are processed like an amended return, its going to be months before the system is updated for the parents to be able to claim the child...I always file the parents return first, just in case I blow it and miss that checkbox!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

I'd like to know the answer to that too. 

I had client that filed their child's return using TT.   Didn't check the box.   I made client amend return. 

Now we wait. 

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

It’s a lot more fun when the child files for his hundred dollar refund in February and the parents sit around a few months waiting to claim the AOTC and other credits they’re entitled to. 

I try to warn the parents of high school seniors, but it doesn’t always work.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
taxes96786
Level 9

You need to supersede the dependent return but you will still have to USPS the parents return that includes the dependent.

HuntFishTax
Level 3

Thank you all for your responses. So for clarification to the client, even though the superseded return was electronically filed (and accepted), it is processed with the massive stack of amended returns the IRS is currently sitting on, correct?

Much appreciated!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Correct

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

You might try to efile the parent’s return on 4/15 or so. If it’s rejected then mail in paper return with a copy of the kids superseded return, acceptance and preparer note.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround