Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrected W-2 entry with wages, tips etc, box blank.

KTimber
Level 3

I have not yet filed my client's taxes; I received a corrected w-2 last night from the client with the new income social security section filled out with new figures with no taxes withheld on the sheet.  And also, state and local income sections were filled in, but no taxes.  I did create a second W-2 and checked the Corrected w-2 box.

For some reason, the system is adding the new figures on the corrected w-2 to the income and creating a huge tax due. I get an error if I leave the income section of the w-2 blank. How do I get rid of the error?

Thanks

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

A W-2c just reports items that changed from the original W-2.  Don't enter it as a new W-2.  What I do: enter the original W-2, then change the numbers to those reported on the W-2c.  Then check the "Corrected" box.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
rbynaker
Level 13

A W-2c just reports items that changed from the original W-2.  Don't enter it as a new W-2.  What I do: enter the original W-2, then change the numbers to those reported on the W-2c.  Then check the "Corrected" box.

KTimber
Level 3

Thanks so much.  As always, you came to the rescue.

Best