Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superseded 1040 for 2022

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

I am having a hard time understanding the difference between the new Superseded return and an Amended return. 

My real confusion is with trying to authorize an electronic payment for additional tax that is due with the Superseded return.  On Part IX of the Information Worksheet (Electronic Funds Withdrawal Options), there is NO box to authorize an electronic withdrawal for a Superseded return.  However, there is a box to authorize electronic withdrawal for an Amended return  Should the Amended return box be checked to authorize an electronic payment on a Superseded return?  If I check the box to authorize withdrawal of funds for federal balance due, the amount due populates in the area just below the check boxes.

To make matters even more confusing, I cannot see where any of this is addressed when I run the review for the return, or in any of the letters.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mike

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I feel the same as you, I dont understand what the difference is either and the whole Epay thing through the software isnt clear at all either, so ive been making any additional payment needed through the IRS DirectPay website, because I cant tell for sure whats being sent with the superseded or amended return...I still feel like an amended return is a more clear cut approach to making a correction.

An amended return filed before the due date is processed as a superseded return anyhow, so Im not sure what the purpose of the superseded return really is....and an amended return you can track the status of both refund or balance due amended returns through the Wheres My Amended Return website.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I feel the same as you, I dont understand what the difference is either and the whole Epay thing through the software isnt clear at all either, so ive been making any additional payment needed through the IRS DirectPay website, because I cant tell for sure whats being sent with the superseded or amended return...I still feel like an amended return is a more clear cut approach to making a correction.

An amended return filed before the due date is processed as a superseded return anyhow, so Im not sure what the purpose of the superseded return really is....and an amended return you can track the status of both refund or balance due amended returns through the Wheres My Amended Return website.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MikeB_CPA
Level 5

Thank you, Lisa.  I am glad I am not the only one confused by this nonsense.