Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCHED A-2022

luithe3rd
Level 2

I came across an adjustment that affected the Federal refund for my Sched A Client/2022 tax return.

Scenario:  There were 0 errors showing, so I gave the client her final refund result.  Then suddenly, a series of questions appeared and asked to enter 2021 Sched A data.  Questions asked from 2021 were gross income, total Itemized deduction, and Line 5...a-e. After entering all this info, the refund decreased by around $800. 

I tried to backtrack the questions to try to understand the adjustment and explain the difference to my client, but I was unsuccessful. 

Your kind help is greatly appreciated!

Luis Cano

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Was this a new client?    Sounds like it was the state refund worksheet for determining how much of the prior year state tax refund is taxable. 

I generally enter this info (along with any other prior year data that may be relevant) before I even start entering a new client's current year data, so I haven't seen it pop up on the fly asking me to fill it in, it may be something that doesn't compute or get flagged until the file is saved, Im not sure.

If you remove the 1099G for the state tax refund, does it go back to what you saw originally?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
luithe3rd
Level 2

Thank you so much for your help.  This is a new customer and Yes...when I remove the State refund, her refund jumps up to what it was originally.  I'll explain to my client that this calculation is made after saving her file and entering the required prior year data.

Thank you again,

Luis Cano

0 Cheers