Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepped-up basis by an decedent's estate

Greta
Level 9

When a decedent's estate sells rental house of the decedent, is there a stepped-up basis?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes

Slava Ukraini!
GodFather
Level 8

Hopefully the stepped-up basis will remain.  It seems there are proposals to do away with this.  That would potentially have a large impact on many taxpayers.  

PATAX
Level 15

I commented about this several months or so ago... I think a compromise may be to let step-up basis remain up to 5 million dollars... Just my opinion....

IRonMaN
Level 15

So to be safe, the current strategy is to tell clients to die now --------------------- just in case 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

If you remember George Steinbrenner died at the "perfect time" (God forgive me) and his children did not have to sell the baseball team to pay the tax....

BobKamman
Level 15

You hope for what you want, I'll hope for what I want. 

I'll hope that reactionary politicians financed by billionaires will stop campaigning for repeal of the estate tax "because that money has already been taxed once."  

PATAX
Level 15

The Golden Rule:  "He who has the gold rules"... It is this way in every single country and has been since mankind started, and always will be.....

BobKamman
Level 15

But, there's this book that says the meek shall inherit the earth -- I bet they pay tax on it, then!