Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Security Lump Sum, 2016-22

BobKamman
Level 15

A former client called yesterday and told me he had won his Social Security disability case, after a hearing, an appeal to the 9th Circuit, and a rehearing.  The claim was filed in 2016.  This will be a 2023 return issue, and I have done returns where the lump-sum method is used for one or two years.  I'm assuming that it works for seven years just as well, but does the software support it?  Has anyone else done one of these for more than a couple years?  (It's a joint return and his wife has been supporting the family, so some of the benefits will be taxable each year with her income as the base.)

Not a tax question, but how do they figure the benefits anyway?  Does he get credit for the COLA increases, retroactively?  He hasn't received the funds yet.  

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are going to need it for 7 years, I'm going to guess that the software will cover 6 years, just to make your life difficult😉   I've only used it a couple of times and only a couple of years were involved so I really don't know.

Slava Ukraini!