Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a dependent student without messing up links to other students

Mel48
Level 1

I can't find the instructions to follow removing a dependent student from the return that has turned 24 on their own now without messing up links to other students.

I usually just remove the student, but I end up having to re-enter all the other students and dependents again to get the right links to the student info worksheets!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
dkh
Level 15

Before trying this - make a backup of the client file.   From the Federal Information Sheet, have cursor on dependent you wish to delete, right click to select Delete Line in Table.   Shouldn't mess up your other students but...….   

lrhenry04
Level 3

I think the program is keeping the 1098-T forms in order of the kids listed. So when you delete the line for the child on the top of the list, you will need to go to each 1098-T and adjust the dependent's name.

If there are 3 kids listed and the top two have tuition and then you remove the top kid, the 2nd child's 1098-T moves down to kid #3.

0 Cheers
steve5
Level 4

Proseries should fix this problem, this post is two years old and I just had the problem.  This return had two student dependents carry over from 2020

Here are the steps I had to do to fix it:

1 - Delete all 1098-T forms 

2 - Delete non dependent from Info Worksheet

3 - Create new 1098-T for remaining student

I tried multiple methods and this is what finally worked.  It shouldn't be this difficult.

0 Cheers