Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your average client in the future.

PATAX
Level 15

Is it just me, or does it appear that the average client each successive year is a little bit more of a moron and idiot than the average client in the preceeding year. Remember the older clients from years ago, and how well organized they were and how much common sense they had, not to mention a much higher IQ. If you want to know how bad it's going to get in the future, just take a look at the average moron in the general population. Just had a real big jack@$$ walk up on me and my German Shepherd while we were walking. He trailed behind me real slow for a while, and instead of crossing the street, and walking there, this jack@$$ actually walked up on me and my dog. My dog was/is well trained at a dog training school by a police officer, but this moron idiot didn't know that. I don't know about you guys, but I was taught as a child never to walk up on someone with a dog, and don't drive your bike by a dog either. But this grown adult moron obviously wasn't brought up right, or am I just a mean b@$!%'d? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GodFather
Level 8

I think society has become much more self-centered.  Years ago, while individuals had their own vision, thoughts, and convictions, they were also much more accepting of the middle-ground.  At least when it came to recognizing their own views were not necessarily the only views and there was a certain level of respect in recognizing that.  Today, people seem to be more focused solely on their own perception of things.  To hell with those who feel differently.  I'm not sure exactly why that's the case...maybe the internet, social media, and the recent isolation we've all experienced play into that. 

As for your experience it seems idiotic that he would walk up on you, especially with a German Shepard by your side.  Why not temporarily move across the street or into the street for a short period of time and then move in front of you at some point?  Oh well, the future is bright!  🙄🙄🙄 

View solution in original post

23 Comments 23
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Unfortunately, it's our new reality, and not likely to improve due to the increasing state of anger and  misinformation that are now part of our everyday life.

I still think the internet is the real Anti-Christ. It's just so scary and volatile out there.

GodFather
Level 8

I think society has become much more self-centered.  Years ago, while individuals had their own vision, thoughts, and convictions, they were also much more accepting of the middle-ground.  At least when it came to recognizing their own views were not necessarily the only views and there was a certain level of respect in recognizing that.  Today, people seem to be more focused solely on their own perception of things.  To hell with those who feel differently.  I'm not sure exactly why that's the case...maybe the internet, social media, and the recent isolation we've all experienced play into that. 

As for your experience it seems idiotic that he would walk up on you, especially with a German Shepard by your side.  Why not temporarily move across the street or into the street for a short period of time and then move in front of you at some point?  Oh well, the future is bright!  🙄🙄🙄 

IRonMaN
Level 15

It’s global warming—— too many brains have been fried 🤪

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

I feel the average client is more demanding, bossy, and rude.  I've had clients tell me when I will have their return done.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

You mean former clients, don't you?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Former clients, or clients that have their pictures on milk cartons because they have mysteriously gone missing 😶

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

I do not feel as you do.  I do believe there is more laziness with certain clients. But what I'm finding is every client has become more complicated in their tax return.  Their simple K-1 now has a ten thousand page K-2/K-3.  All of a sudden the K-1 is now 14 states with 6 being composite returns and the other 8 we have to file.  The simple return now has a rental property they inherited in Switzerland or wherever. The simple return now has twelve brokerage accounts, three crypto accounts and more.  This foreign reporting is becoming a nightmare.  And no, you're return is no longer $250.  Sorry.  

And yesterday I tried to reorder paper.  It went from $37 per case to $92 per case in 8 months.  Having a paperless office I needed 9 cases for almost a thousand dollars.  t's nuts!

PATAX
Level 15

Yeah I agree with you, the average return is definitely more complicated than the average return from years ago. Very few "easy returns" like before. And the crypto stuff doesn't help. That's why I laughed several years ago when it was reported there would be a new simple "postcard return". Where is it?

dkh
Level 15

new simple "postcard return". Where is it?      Oh but don't you remember that half page bull$h!t with 6 new schedules to cover the lines removed to give us 2pages of half-page F1040.

PATAX
Level 15

Yeah it cost me a ton of paper .... A lot of trees and forests bit the dust. What a joke.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"It went from $37 per case to $92 per case in 8 months"

I just paid $48 per case a couple of weeks ago.  I'll charge you $54.99 per case plus shipping.  You just tell me where you want the dogsled team to drop off the order.🐕

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

@dascpa wrote:

And yesterday I tried to reorder paper.  It went from $37 per case to $92 per case in 8 months.  Having a paperless office I needed 9 cases for almost a thousand dollars.  t's nuts!

Staples has a case of Hammermill for "only" $48.99 (vs. $34.99 I paid last October).  I keep an eye on them for sales and stock up when I need it.

I'm not sure that my clients are necessarily dumber but I certainly agree that their situations are more complicated.  Anyone with a smart phone has easy access to investing in whatever they'd like.  No fees, no minimums, they don't need to know anything about the tax ramifications, just download an app.  Stocks, crypto, and look, you bought a PTP, what fun!  Want to drive for Uber or Grub Hub?  Just download an app.  Kids off to college?  Great!  Was that funded with savings bonds, a 529 plan, scholarships, loans, mortgage refi, AOTC, LLC?  And now tell me about your health insurance, what kind of car you drive, your windows and doors, roof, insulation, A/C unit, water heater, etc.

Life is more complicated and taxes along with it.  Our 2-page 1040 has bloated to 8 pages since most of my clients have a number or two on each of Schedules 1-3.  I can barely keep up with the insanity, I certainly have no expectation that my clients have any idea about this stuff.

Rick

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

How could they be dumber when they get so much great information from TikTok?  😂 🤣

TaxGuyBill_0-1660691328345.png

TaxGuyBill_1-1660691328391.png

ljr
Level 8

I had one show up at the office unannounced yesterday with his papers and said you can do this today right? MY answer was an ABSOLUTELY NOT ! He had the nerve to say "you're that busy in the summer?" I bit my tongue from saying you have been on extension for 4 months, you've had almost 8 months to file this already (and my office has left 2 reminder messages over the 4 months to everyone on extension - hey I'm not being nice just don't want them all showing up in Oct) You don't call to see what my availability is and I should drop everything for you and move you to the front of my already large to do pile? Needless to say it was a wine night. LOL 

IRonMaN
Level 15

So, are you saying it will be ready for him this morning? 🤪😆

Slava Ukraini!
ljr
Level 8

lol 😂 pretty sure that file will keep finding it's way to the bottom of the stack 

dkh
Level 15

Yes, I'm much smarter now that I used Tik Tok to learn how to dance, cook, clean, scream at my neighbor/store clerks/people parking, get the latest political views, train my dog/cat/bird/child, put on makeup, take off makeup, DIY with Dollar Tree items, thrift shop, .................

IRonMaN
Level 15

Have you changed your name to Karen yet? 😉

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Can't that's my sister's name....😂😂

sjrcpa
Level 15

There's Darryl and Darryl. And George Foreman's kids named George.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Can't that's my sister's name"

Maybe she is willing to swap names. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

No....it fits her to a T.     

IRonMaN
Level 15

Then I'm glad you are here instead of her 🤣😂