Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY Withholding exceeds 25%

Camp1040
Level 10

I have read the KB concerning efiling not allowed when box 17 withholding exceeds 25% of box 16 wages, the return is a NR NYS return.

I read some suggestions, but no one has reported if they worked, and the odd part, is that the federal return is producing the error warning during review and not NYS.

Any suggestions or work arounds, besides the obvious......paper file! 

Thank you and I don't expect a reply this late on a Friday afternoon. Have a good weekend all!

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Try it, if it doesnt work youre right back to where you are now.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Camp1040
Level 10

Does anyone know, if I turn off error checking, does intuit reject the return or does the IRS?

Thanks

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Try it, if it doesnt work youre right back to where you are now.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Camp1040
Level 10

You're right nothing to lose, but I was hoping someone here had ran with scissors before me on this issue. Or a workaround that I haven't thought of. I do not want to paper file if I don't have to, that'it'a 78 page return. Either the client or I could be retired by the time the IRS processes a paper return. Thank you for the suggestion I'll let you know how it goes as my last resort.

I even thought for a moment about fat fingering the withholding and then let the IRS fix it and the state, but then I wouldn't be doing my job for which I get paid the big bucks to do. LOL. That may have been the first time I've ever used the phrase LOL. Thanks for answering on a Sunday Lisa.

Camp1040
Level 10

I'm still not ready to pull the trigger concerning efille with a failed review due to the post topic. Maybe by the end of the day!!

This is a Bump.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

UPDATE!  So I ran with scissors and I could not be any happier.

I efiled the Fed and NYS return with a "failed final review" message due to NYS withholding being greater than 25% of NY wages. I turned off error checking and both returns have been accepted by the taxing agencies. I was so dreading having to possibly paper file.

Running with scissors was more fun than paper cuts!!