Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renting a home to parents at below market rental

KMACK
Level 4

I have a client who rents a home to his mother at below market rental rates  There is no attempt to make a profit on this rental.  Here are my questions:

1. Is this rental activity reported on Schedule E?  Or is the income reported as other income like a not-for profit hobby with expenses reported on Schedule A?

2. I believe he can claim a deduction for mortgage interest and property taxes as a second home.  Can he claim any other deductions against the rental income?

Thank you,

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KMACK
Level 4

I just found out the client moved into the home (that he is renting to his mother) at the end of 2020, so now it is more like a situation of renting a room to his mother (the client is going through divorce).  His mother continued to pay the same rent as before he moved in which is now more like market rate rent to rent a room in a house in his area.

So, now it can maybe be treated like a normal rental and reported on Schedule E with the usual expenses, taking into account the percentage of the home that is being rented?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Line 21, then mort int and prop tax on Sch A.  

How much are the parents paying?  Could it be considered a gift?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
KMACK
Level 4

I just found out the client moved into the home (that he is renting to his mother) at the end of 2020, so now it is more like a situation of renting a room to his mother (the client is going through divorce).  His mother continued to pay the same rent as before he moved in which is now more like market rate rent to rent a room in a house in his area.

So, now it can maybe be treated like a normal rental and reported on Schedule E with the usual expenses, taking into account the percentage of the home that is being rented?

0 Cheers