Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naics Codes

calidelicias
Level 1

Case # 1595891184

the Program is not recognizing Naics codes from last year, and is really difficult to search the Naics codes under the "zoom button" many activities are not listed in the Zoom results.

I have spoken to several agents and the I have not received a resolution to the problem.  The developers really need to take a look at this as Business taxes are due March 15th and the program doe not let transmit unless I have a correct Naics code.

The only options right now for many of my business clients is either transmit with the wrong code or transmit with a 

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

Codes for tax returns have changed this year.

Find the instructions for the type of return in question - 1040 Schedule C, 1120, 1065, etc., look at the list of codes and choose one.

Ex-AllStar
dascpa
Level 11

Never saw a "need" for these codes on a tax return as the US Census Bureau sends out zillion page questionaires on this.  But the change this year has been an utter pain for certain clients.  Also don't honestly believe IRS looks at the driver's license info for individual returns as tax return identity theft is still there.  Just wasted time on all these issues, in my opinion.

IRonMaN
Level 15

My question for this week is:

Does anybody know what the longest prison sentence was given to a tax preparer for picking a wrong code?

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Does anybody know what the longest prison sentence was given to a tax preparer for picking a wrong code?

It used to be 999999 years, but this year the IRS changed it to 999000 years.

TaxGuyBill_0-1677811453087.png

calidelicias
Level 1

if it would have been that easy I would not have posted: there are business specific codes I need and they are not  found in 1040, 1065, 1120 etc

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@calidelicias wrote:

if it would have been that easy I would not have posted: there are business specific codes I need and they are not  found in 1040, 1065, 1120 etc

Tax returns don't use NAICS codes.  They use the Principal Business Activity codes that are listed in the Instructions.  So if it isn't in the Instructions, you shouldn't be using it.

sjrcpa
Level 15

You can only use the codes in the IRS form instructions. It is that easy.

The software is programmed that way.

They are not necessarily NAICS codes. IRS calls them Business Codes.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Someone is getting a little dramatic for something that has no drama whatsoever.  I’ll second the vote for “it is that easy”

Slava Ukraini!