Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFS and duplicate SSN

JML222
Level 4

Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Created 2 separate returns, one with the husband as Taxpayer and wife as spouse using only his income, and one with the wife as Taxpayer and husband as spouse using only her income. Checked MFS on both

Getting a Duplicate SSN message. Any direction is appreciated.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 13

IDK if this is the exact same situation that I have seen, but you will have to uncheck the e-file boxes for one person, open state return, then save it.

E-file the other person's return, then do the reverse for the 2nd person after the other person's returns have been accepted.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

Do you have a MFJ file still hanging out there for your client?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
JML222
Level 4

No I don't. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Did you happen to accidently list the same Social Security number as taxpayer on both returns?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
JML222
Level 4

This is very strange. I have removed the SSN's for both returns, and removed the electronic filing for both and duplicate SSN is still present. Next, will delete both returns, reboot and see what I get...

Thank you! 

Accountant-Man
Level 13

IDK if this is the exact same situation that I have seen, but you will have to uncheck the e-file boxes for one person, open state return, then save it.

E-file the other person's return, then do the reverse for the 2nd person after the other person's returns have been accepted.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.