Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trans E-File Reject

dascpa
Level 11

First for me.  Son went into army. Couldn't cut it so dropped out.  Son became daughter. E-file reject due to change in "Dependent Relationship".  I'm too old for this new world.

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

thats what the rejection said? relationship incorrect?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dascpa
Level 11

Relationship Mismatch.

dascpa
Level 11

I'm guessing because not a new dependent but one already in their system? I just sent it without error checking.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

thats interesting, I didnt realize they really kept track of that relationship designation.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, if I was going to put money on who would come up with this problem, you would have been the one I would have bet the ranch on.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Used to be able to just enter "child."  Now that the clerical work is left to professionals, IRS can ask for more, at least on e-filed returns.  The only choice for the next generation is "grandchild."  They don't even care if it's maternal or paternal. 

Are you sure the child didn't file a return claiming not to be a dependent, and that's what caused the problem?  

dkh
Level 15

Interesting information.   

sjrcpa
Level 15

Did you use son or daughter?

Did son/daughter do the legal paperwork for gender change?

Ex-AllStar
dascpa
Level 11

E-file went through without error checking.  Initially I changed the sex on the dependent section and it was rejected since it wasn't the same sex as the prior year.  I do not know if this was IRS, ProSeries or Social Security who did the rejection. I do not know who tracks these things and even if the "legal paperwork" was done, would it be forwarded to the tax agencies?  But this one was easy, it was a 50/50 choice on the tax return.