Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you e-file an amended return that you didn't originally file?

eaf1213
Level 4

I have a client that filed their own return and messed up. Now they want me to file an amendment. ProSeries isn't letting me e-file it because it says I need to file an original return first. How do I file an amended return for a return I didn't originally file?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Highlight them and then instead of Receive Acks, choose Update Acks of Selected Returns, see if that pulls them in.

updateacks.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

42 Comments 42
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The original needs to have been Efiled and accepted previously, assuming that is true.....

You recreate the original exactly as it was prepared, then you activate the 1040X and then you make the changes youre amending for.

Be sure youve checked the box on the Fed Info worksheet about the original being Efiled and accepted.

eaf1213
Level 4

It says federal return not completed next to amendment. It says ready for original return. I checked it was filed and accepted and still isn't allowing me to e-file amendment.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
and you did the steps that I outlined above? Create the original, then open the 1040X and put in the year at the top, then go back and make the changes?
Do you have the EF boxes marked for both the 1040 and the 1040X? Or just the 1040X?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

Both 1040 and 1040X. That must be why? I should uncheck 1040 e-file?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

When I uncheck 1040 e-file it says the Amended EF cannot be e-filed when original return is not checked for e-file.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
ok, I just wanted to be sure both were checked....hat year is this for? Im not sure if we had the ability to EF an amended return for 2020 unless we EF the original ourselves...I know the box to check is there, but I cant remember if we actually could or not.

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

It's for 2021. They filed on their own in January and received their refund mid-February. So I know the original return has been processed.

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

Screenshot 2022-03-09 162719.jpg

JRC
Level 8

I thought you can't E-File an amended return unless you E-filed the Original as the original preparer?

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Intuit started out with that restriction in 2020, but eventually allowed you to e-file the 1040X on a return you did not prepare or e-file thru them by adding a check box that the original return was e-filed and accepted.

Are you sure the 2021, 1040X is ready to be e-filed yet?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

Yes, unless there is some step I am missing. I did the review and there are no errors. I checked e-file for both 1040 and 1040X. I checked that original return was e-filed and accepted.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Well I remember it was a bit of a nightmare in 2020 because Proseries changed the instructions on amending a return 3 times.

Check the How to amend a 2021 return instructions, if you haven't already, and see if there are any new changes. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Try it from the EFcenter, NOT from within the client return...whats the EFStatus out in the EFcenter?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

It says Marked for EF.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Does the file type say Amended Federal (or something like that?)

If you highlight it and hit the EFNow button, and choose Convert, will it convert for Efiling?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

It said return conversion was successful.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Looks like youre ready to EF it! EF from within a client return doesnt always work as intended, the EF Center seems to be a much more reliable place to transmit from.

Highlight it again, hit EFnow and choose Transmit.

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

Okay I have never e-filed from EF Center. Always from within return. The EF Status currently says Ready to Transmit. Do I highlight again, then hit EF Now, and select transmit selected returns? And it will be submitted completely?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

Oops sorry I missed the last part of your post. Ignore my previous post.

Thank you for your help.

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

I have another question about EF Center. I have 2 clients that I filed 3 weeks ago. They both have not moved from Pending. Their EF Status says Transmitted. How come they are not showing as Accepted?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Highlight them and then instead of Receive Acks, choose Update Acks of Selected Returns, see if that pulls them in.

updateacks.png

eaf1213
Level 4

Yep, that worked. Thank you 😊

eaf1213
Level 4

@Just-Lisa-Now- The return was rejected.😞

This is the rejection message.

Screenshot 2022-03-11 135326.jpg

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive heard of several people that end up with this message, Im not sure what it means or why it happens. 

The EFCenter showed the Return Type as Federal Amended Return, right?   

Your new 8879 shows the updated figures that are on the 1040X?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

Just checked and it says Federal Return not Federal Amended. The 8879 has the refund amount from the 1040X. So, it's using the amendment total but filing as an original return.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Did you mark the EF box for the amended return in the Fed Info Worksheet, Part VII ?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

Yes, marked both boxes.Screenshot 2022-03-11 183119.jpg

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive seen other people mention this same situation, I honestly dont understand what causes it.

What is it your amending for, are you just correcting a monetary amount or are you changing dependents or filing status?  Im wondering if the reason for the amendment has something to do with it.

@IntuitGabi or @IntuitZacharyG   you guys have any ideas?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

I am adding childcare expenses. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did you EF the original return?  If so, are you using the same original file for the amended return? or did you make a copy and used the copy for the amended?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

No, I did not e-file the original return. The client filed on their own.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
And you're sure it was accepted electronically and completed processing already?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

Yes, the client said they received their refund. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im out of ideas, sorry. Maybe one of the moderators I tagged be able to trouble shoot it better....this is a 2021 amendment, right?

0 Cheers
eaf1213
Level 4

Yes, 2021. Is it possible it's too early to file it?

0 Cheers
shatcher
Level 2

Did you ever get this resolved to be able to efile an amended return you did not prepare?  I have the same situation and I'm receiving the same errors. 

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

Unless the rules have changed, you can't efile an amended when you did not prepare and efile the original. Has to be mailed. Check current rules.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Rules have changed

Slava Ukraini!
rw4330
Level 2

If the rules have changed, how can I file an electronic amended reutrn?

0 Cheers
godiva_jen
Level 2

I FINALLY had success with this.  The thing I did differently was merely try to e-file the amendment while in the return.  I usually only do it from the EF Center so I can ensure I'm highlighting the right line item with "amended" in the return type just to be sure.  When I tried to e-file while in the return, the amended version allowed me to check the checkbox to file that one.  To be sure it wouldn't change on me, I exited out of the return and THEN "amended" showed up in the return type, whereas it did not before.  It seems I had to trick the system into e-filing the amendment where the original was not filed by me.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Congratulations! and welcome to ProSeries 🙂

0 Cheers
klimli
Level 3

Level her up!

0 Cheers