Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Scan and Import

pconsolati
Level 2

I started using the scan and import add on last year. What worked was great, though it was problematic. Seeing the same issues this year with it and am wondering if I am the only one. I can scan and upload and then receive the OCR files without issue. When you open the client, it opens a popup window where you are supposed to verify the information and make changes. I understand the limits of this electronic reading of information and have no issue with that either.

Form SSA-1099, it is read correctly appears in the popup window, but when imported, the information is not added to the tax return. 

W2 - Items in box 12a import fine.  Anything in boxes 12b, 12c, 12d, etc. do not import even if put into the fields on the import screen.

1099-R - State distribution amount in box 16 always incorrectly contains information from state tax withheld box 14

1099-G - Does not import at all.

W2-G -Does not import.

1099-misc - Scans and identifies the file.  Does not import info.

1099-nec - Scans and identifies the file.  Does not import info.

Form 1098 - creates a blank worksheet in Pro Series with no information in it.

Additionally, "fixing" or entering information in the part where you preview before it is imported is largely ignored.

This is a super helpful feature I'm hoping will be looked into.

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

"This is a super helpful feature"

Based on your notes, it doesn't look super helpful to me.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

"This is a super helpful feature"

Based on your notes, it doesn't look super helpful to me.

Sounds to me it's at least as reliable as the products from the Acme catalog... 🤣

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

This may be why we don't run across too many folks here that use it. 

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@pconsolati 

thanks for the update!! Did they offer a discount for being a beta tester?

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
ljr
Level 8

in the amount of time it would take me to scan - do all what you said and verify the info I can key it into the system and less than half the time and know that it was input correctly. Call me old school lol

jtsjoz
Level 2

I did not renew the Scan Import feature this year after paying for it the last 3-years. 

They haven't invested or improved this technology even though there have been massive improvements in Ai and data extraction.   When it works its cool, but it is not consistently reliable.

- So many federal forms are not supported like SSA-1099,

- 1099-B are really hit and miss.

-  Many forms fails to populate data in the correct spots.

- 1099 for UAW will consistently add $40,000 in the wrong box for $27 - amount.

- The service goes down and processing can take 15 minutes to 4 days to never finish.

pconsolati
Level 2

Agreed. This year it consistently doesn't import anything to do with state withholdings. Now I'm getting weird behaviors from scanning bank interest forms and putting the interest in as federal withholdings instead. I hope that the ProSeries folks read this and respond!

0 Cheers
taxes247
Level 1

Thanks for the comments everyone, I tried it on one return and it was not working great. I did not realize that if you upload a W2 and then upload a second W2 in a different scan, it will override the first one, then after approving the import multiple times, I could have just entered it all by hand much more quickly! I was curious how the other functions worked on other forms, but it sounds like Intuit has not figured this one out yet! So I will not waste the money. Shame, because if it worked reliably, it could save a ton of time and would be worth the $14/return.

0 Cheers
taxthis
Level 2

I am disappointed that they charge $14 per return to use the import feature. It wasn't until I had imported everything that I was presented a screen that demanded $14 to proceed. What a rip off! After paying $3000 for a tax program this type of feature should be included.

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

WOW.. 

Scan, Print, File. SO easy to prepare returns now days.

Is this what they are teaching in college?