Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error filing personal return...do not have (or want) EIN

RoxyRooney
Level 1

I am getting 3 error messages when trying to e-file my own personal tax return. I do not have an EIN.  First I was getting an error message because I entered my SSN as the EIN, but I deleted that and now get these errors:

1) Paid Preparer Information: EFIN must be entered for Electronic Filing.

2) Paid Preparer Information: ERO contact first name must be entered for electronic filing

3) 2) Paid Preparer Information: ERO contact last name must be entered for electronic filing

How do I get past these errors??

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
dkh
Level 15

You can't get past those errors.    An EFIN is required to electronically file tax returns.

You will need to pay a tax professional to file.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Those messages are saying EFIN for the ERO, not EIN

I think I remember an issue last year when someone is Efiling their own and are using their SSN rather than an EIN for their business, I think it flags because the program thinks the SSN is a mistake..

Have you been EFiling other returns?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dsocpa
Level 5

Ugh, shocking that someone on the professional forum would think they could file without having that information.

RoxyRooney
Level 1

@Just-Lisa-Now- Yes, I have been able to E-file other returns.  I have seen others post this question but have never seen a solution.

0 Cheers
RoxyRooney
Level 1

@dsocpa Sorry my question was so shocking to you.  To clarify, I have an EFIN, but not an EIN.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I read your message differently than Lisa.   Sounded like you were trying to efile without an EFIN.

When I efile my own return, I indicate I'm the paid preparer.    Try that see if your errors go away.

sjrcpa
Level 15

ProSeries should have Self Prepared and Non Paid Preparer options.

EDIT: per Lisa's post I guess it does.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think if you if you use your SSN instead of an EIN, it wont let you EF as the paid preparer, you have to use the Non-Paid or Self Prepared options   Code XNP or XSP for the preparer code.

or is it vice versa...you'll have to try it both ways, see which gets rid of the error.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪